Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck swelling after 2 CESI

tmcj4ttmcj4 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am new here, but I read on this site a lot!!! I have 2 bulging disc in my neck with one on touching spinal cord. I have had a headache and my ears have rang since March. Not to mention I have a lump on my back in the middle top of my sholder blades that is swollen and sore. The PM Dr. Has given me 2 CESI injections knowing this. My question, is this normal? Please tell me I am not the only one this has happened to. I also wanted to know if I could see a Dr. on my on to get a 2nd opion on what needs to be done. Or, does the Dr. have to reffer me? I feel like I am just someone's paycheck. I am tired of hurting and being a pin cushion!! I love this site and thanks for reading this.


  • Welcome to spine-health. FIrst off the more detail you can share the better suggestions you will get. I am assuming from your post that you have had an MRI. Who ordered this? Also how did you get to a PM doc?

    Normally you would go to a neurologist or orthopedist first. These specialist can order the tests and diagnose your problem. It is important to have these doctors because they can match up what you feel with what the tests show and then decide on treatment. A PM doc usually doesnt come into the picture unless the specialist thinks you need injections or if they feel medication is the only/last resort.

    I am concerned that you say one of the bulges is toughing your spinal cord. Are you sure you mean spinal cord and not a nerve root? Millimeters can make huge differences.

    Again in you can share more detail on what docs you have seen, tests, and symptoms you will find more responses. Also what levels are showing on the tests?

    As far as referals that depends on your insurance. If you would normally need a referal you will need one for a specialist. This would come from your family doctor so there is no need to worry about your PM doc.

    Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing more from you. Remember what you read here is from personal experiences and should not be considered as medical advice.
  • Welcome to Spine Health!! You can also narrow your search for questions by using the 'search box' at the top of this web page. :)

    As Kris said, have you been to a Neurologist or Orthopedic doctor for assessment? I am assuming you at least had an MRI due to your specifying 2 disks and one of which is 'touching the spinal cord.' When my C5/6 herniated, it went onto the cord. They did have me get shots - but they didn't help me. My pain started increasing rapidly, and numbness was starting. I had already had conservative treatment that also failed, and as such I underwent fusion surgery.

    If indeed your disk is on the cord, you should see about getting with a spine trained doctor. Also like Kris said, if your insurance allows, find out who these specialists are, and get to one. If you need a referral, your PM or GP can do that for you. If they don't want to, I would then ask them for direct answers as to why, but I doubt your GP decline a referral. Please give us more details. I hope you are able to get more answers.

    Again, welcome to the site!!! :)

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have NS due to L5 and S1 had surgery in 2000. I have nerve damage in lower back and in left leg. That is why I see PM. NS told me that I should be feeling better. It is getting worse. I had a MRI which showed the disc and the spinal cord being affected. So, should I have the swelling on the neck? Thanks for the replies...
  • Tmc,

    Did the doctor who ordered the MRI for your neck give you any plan for how treatment is going to commence? It just seems odd they didn't say anything to you about it - I am curious.

    As to swelling, that can be a lot of different things. If your having pain from the affects of the disks, you could also be getting muscle spasms that might cause swelling. There is a huge thyroid gland in your throat that could be having issues. It could be reaction to medications? You could have an infection that is totally unrelated. See, it can be a lot of things unfortunately, and none of us are doctors, so we guessing as you are.

    Can you get with your family doctor to have him/her look you over? Obviously you have at least 2 things going on here, one the disk issues, and the other the swelling. If I had swelling and no known cause I would get with my GP as soon as is reasonable. I hope it isn't hurting.

    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
Sign In or Register to comment.