Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

About the walking they tell you to do

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby came home yesterday and decided to walk around a fair bit as he wants to do what they tell him. Today he was running a fever due to a bladder infection he developed in the hospital. They sent him home anyway but family doctor prescribed cipro and the burning sensation has disappeared already with fever going down slowly. However today he is weak and visibly shaking at times. He thinks he should still try to walk. I think he needs to rest and get over the fever. He is afraid that will set back recovery and lead to scar tissue. Any opinions from those who have gone through this?

• Well you are dealing with a man so it changes everything - lmao!! As long as the fever is going down and you feel pretty good that the infection is going away I would let him have his way.

But at this point his walks should be once around the inside of the house ever hour or so. Not sure what he considers a walk but knowing my husband I would guess he wants to walk around the block!

Any chance you have an older son or a brother-in-law who could be around just in case he gets too shakey? You don't want him falling at this stage.

Hope this helps. Dealing with husbands as patients is the worst. Good luck and remember this will all be a memory in a week or so. :)
  • Bless your heart! If your hubby is like mine, you may have your hands full! Scar tissue tends to be most probable between weeks 3-12, so maybe that will help him feel better about just walking around the house for now.

Hope he feels better from his infection!

Thank goodness for antibiotics!

Please take the time to take care of yourself too! Caregiving is a difficult job!

Wishing you the best!
  • Beaver,

My first judgment/thought is he should chill and let the antibiotics do their job, and HE rest. The internal part of us as humans, "he feels he needs to walk"...he should be allowed to walk a bit. If you have someone to keep an eye on him, then it should be okay? Scar tissue shouldn't be an issue for near a month or so. If it was my hubby (with argument) I would make him rest and get rid of the fever. :)

Men are great, but they make better nurses than patients!!! Please keep us posted. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda they make better nurses because they hand you some pills and then disappear!!! The disappear part is the best!!
  • Kris-NY said:
    Brenda they make better nurses because they hand you some pills and then disappear!!! The disappear part is the best!!
    Hehehehe... Kris, my hubby is the love and attention magnet! If I am sick, he won't leave my side! If he is sick, good Lord if you try to help! Rofla!!!!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'd agree with him to walk a TINY bit in the house to keep the blood flowing and the lungs working well. But until he feels more steady that shoudl be the extent of his working.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • won't do him much good if he passes out and falls down. I'm sure just walking around the house till the fever is down and he feels a little more solid would be just fine.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • The best source of expertise of course is your husband's doc. When in doubt, a phone call to get clarification can relieve a lot of stress.

I'm not certain where some of the others got their information from on scar tissue formation timelines, but there's really no set in stone formula. It varies from individual to individual. The body is an amazing mechanism and almost immediately after inflammation has gone down, the body begins to repair itself and develops the building blocks for scar tissue. Most surgeon's I've talked to, tell me that once it's been a month from the initial surgery, there's quite a bit of scar tissue development already, not just beginning. I had adhesions develop that trapped the nerve in my leg after only 2 weeks. The surgeon cleaned it out during a revision and then recommended being very diligent about walking and flexing my feet while lying down.

I would have gone nuts trying to walk enough around my apartment and as soon as I was steady enough, I would take several shorts walks a day. I would eat first to get some fuel, rest for a bit and then take a walk. Come back, rest and basically repeat the cycle several times a day until I could build up greater times and distances.

I imagine that your husband is struggling enough as it is with the fact that he had spine surgery. For me, the last thing I wanted (on top of dealing with having had to succumb to spine surgery)was someone telling me to back off or rest or not do anything. That's just me. My husband knows how important to my personal outlook it is, for me to be able to set my own pace, my own restrictions and if necessary learn my own lesson. Your husband's smart, I bet he will do only what he feels capable of doing and rest in between.

Just another perspective.

• Sorry to keep bugging everyone but the antibiotic seems to be doing the job as the fever is gone. However he is still having difficulty urinating a whole lot and it is still quite painful. Bowels have started to move well today. Should we be concerned about the urination or is that something that will come? He was cathaterized several times in the hospital and, to be honest, some of the nurses did not do it well.
    He has agreed to cut the walking down a bit but is going up and down stairs and walking around the house often. And he does not seem to be in much pain- has cut the pain killers down to just extra strength tylenol. This is certainly an uncertain and scary time for both of us.
  • I only had a catheter when I had a c-section. That was for 2 days. I remember after that it was difficult to go. I think it may cause some bruising. But that's just my guess.

I would call the doctors office about the pain just to be sure.

• Welcome home to hubby!
    In the initial stages of healing from surgery, frequent but short walks are the best.

Drinking lots of water is good too. An added benefit of that will be to make him need to get up and walk to the bathroom! Although not comfortable to urinate, it will probably get easier the more he does it.

But do check with your doctor, if worried or it doesn't improve in a day or so.

Hope that the recovery continues smoothly.
    We are here to support you both through this :-)
  • As far as the walking goes I was banned from doing more than a teeny tiny walk due to a wound infection that my surgeon was worried would work its way inwards if I did too much. I got the infection 10 days post op and it lasted about 4 weeks before he freed me to start exercising. As the wound leaked so much during this time I didn't want to get dressed so I pretty much only walked in the house and garden for the first 6 weeks post op.
  • Howdy!!!

Wanted to see how it is going now? I hope the hubby is getting better? I know you mentioned his fever broke (great news there). Just thought I would drop in to let you know we are still here for you and your hubby!!!!

• I'm so pleased for you both that your husband is doing better and his infection is clearing up. I think it is probably normal that he is having trouble urinating after being catheterised.That is something that my son is NOT looking forward to!

It is so comforting to me to read how well your husband is doing and that his pain levels are down. I am really hoping my son's recovery is like his. He is so terrified that he will have more pain after his surgery tomorrow. I wish I could get him to read some of your posts! Maybe he will after his surgery.

I hope your husband continues to improve daily and that you are getting enough rest yourself!

Peggy x

• I didn't have a catheter after my spinal fusion, and at the time, I wished I did.
    I had to use a bed pan! Wow! it was hard lifting myself up enough to slide the bedpan underneath me. Believe me, I started using the toilet pretty quick. It was easier to log roll out of bed and walk to the comode/toilet than to lift myself up while lying on the bed!

Peggy, I'll be thinking of your son and you tomorrow for his surgery. Hope that all goes smoothly and that when he wakes up, his pain will be well managed. :-)

Do let us know how things go. We'll be here to support you. :D
  • I can't believe they expected you to use a bedpan! That's just cruel...or maybe it was to make you get up!

Thanks for your support. It means the world to me. Just hope I can get him reading SH soon. He could use some friends.

P x
  • Their reasoning was that they wanted to reduce the possibility of getting an infection.

Perhaps it was in an effort to get me out of bed quickly!
    If so, it certainly worked. The first time I got up out of bed the physio wanted me to lie down again, but I begged to be allowed to get to the comode. That afternoon I begged to be allowed to go to the bathroom.
    By the next day I was getting there on my own.
    Using the bedpan was awful!
    Apart from getting onto it, you try passing urine while lying on your back!! :jawdrop:
    I can laugh about it now! =))
  • since his fusion and we seem to have put the bladder infection under control. He's a little bit down right now but I just said to him," Compare your pain now to your pain before the operation." " There's no comparison. I am in very little pain now, mostly soreness," So Peggy M that is good news for your son. Hubby walked outside today, down to the garden and then to the road. He was wiped when he came in but he is determined to do more every day. For a sixty six year old guy, I think he is doing really well. Know we will have set backs but we can handle those with all the info I get here.
  • There are so many hormonal issues after having that much antethesia, pain meds etc, so it seems normal to be down! I know I cried several times the first few weeks.

I tried to look at time/days in blocks of 4 hour periods as each 4 hours I could have pain meds. So in those blocks of time, I tried to walk a little, eat a little and sleep a little. This helped me to get through the days.

It is awesome that he is motivated to walk. I was too and going outside really helped to lift my spirits!

Tell him we are thinking of him! Hope you are getting some rest too and have someone who can give you a little break!

Wishing you both the best!