Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back pain cause- hardened tissue

chris67bugcchris67bug Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
I've been suffering from nagging back pain for the past few years. I am an office worker which of course means long periods of sitting and also did weight training since my teens (i'm now 37).

I had an mri done which showed DDD at L4/5, with bone spur formation. However the pain I get is lower down and is centred over the SI joints. The SI joints were ok on the mri and I have no leg pain whatsoever.

The mri did mention sclerosis above the SI joints and I'm beginning to wonder if this is the cause of my pain. Certainly the area is painful to the touch and feels hard and gritty. The physio began to press on this area and the pain was unbearable.

Just wondering what others think- perhaps a course of deep tissue massage would help to break the tissue down?

• Hi and Welcome to SH.

A couple things:

Is the sclerosis "above" as in it lies on top of the joint itself (ie- the joints are deep to the sclerosis), or are we talking above as in the region of L5 and above? I was just wondering if the sclerosis could be affecting the motion of the SI joints causing pain?

Did the doctor who did the MRI have any recommendations are far as treating the scar tissue, or any explanation for why you have it? I have no idea if this would be appropriate, but it might be worthwhile to ask your doctor if any injection therapy to help with the scar tissue would be appropriate?? From personal experience, I had some hard scar tissue in the muscles around my surgical incision and a couple rounds of dry needling with my PT broke it up and helped tremendously. It can be hard to find PTs that do dry needling, so something similar is trigger point injections which pain management doctors do. It's counterintuitive, but needle therapies for scar tissue can be a lot easier to tolerate and much less painful than deep massage. It might just be something to run by your doctor.
  • Hi Lala and thanks for the reply. The exact wording of the mri was:

"the sacroilliac joint spaces are preserved with no evidence of erosive change or subchondral oedema to suggest sacroilitis. There is a little low signal change on the iliac side of each joint superiorly representing sclerosis. The sacrum itself is normal in signal"

There was no mention sclerosis in the section relating to the L4/5 area. Also there is no mention as to how the sclerosis could have formed. I have never had surgery or any accidents in this area. I can only guess that years of exercise without warming up properly has taken it's toll. I'm grasping at straws to be honest

• just a thought ..have you tried any anti inflammatory?
    apart from the DDD {and most healthy adults have this to a degree and don't even know about it}you don't seem to have any bony defect/injury {from what you have said} it may just be severe inflammation and like lala said some injections may help followed by some or anti inflammatory .are you on any pain medication?i would normally suggest a TENS but i don't think that you would benefit from it do you have any leg/foot pain ? my advice would be to keep pushing your doctor until you are happy {please note that my suggestions are from my own personal experience of 15 years of pain and you must seek professional medical advice before taking or changing any medication
This discussion has been closed.