Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another question about SCS

RwillRRwill Posts: 300
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I am in the waiting stage for my SCS I had my Psy appt last week now I'm waiting on Pre-auths etc... I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the SCS through all kinds of ways(internet,docs,informational DVD's yadayadayada). In doing some research on the type of device I'll be getting someone mentioned a waiting period after the trial before the final is implanted. Is this true? In all my reading and watching I didn't get that impression. I thought you did the trial and if it worked you would go right in for the final. A guy said he was waiting in pain while the site healed before he could get is final. I am curious because it is summer and I need to plan where I can. Please post your experience. Thanks!

• I had mine implanted a week after the trial. 9 weeks out still loving it.

• It is quite common for an individual to have a 3 to 6 week waiting period after the trial before getting the permanent implant. This is something your doc will have to coordinate with you. There's quite a lot of scheduling that has to be coordinated for a permanent implant, so even something as simple as the doc having a lot of patients and the rep being busy can create changes in the timeline.

I was fortunate since I flew in from overseas to have the trial. The doc had coordinated things a few months ahead of time so that I would be able to received my permanent implant the day after the trial.

Even your trial will have some bearing on how long you have to wait. If you have any difficulties or infection then everything is subject to change.

I suggest asking your doc if he can give you an idea on the average wait time.

• Good to know thanks...I'll ask the doc the next time we are in touch. I'm just in that paperwork waiting period. I am so excited to give it a try!!!
  • I have the summer off from work so I am hoping that I can get this done and be ready to go back to work at the end of August. I better quit relying on email to communicate with my PM.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I waited 3 weeks from trial to permanant implant. I was off work for 8 weeks afterwards. So i would think going back to work in August is being optomistic at this point.
  • tt was 6 weeks between my trial and permanent implant. I went back to work after 2 weeks off but could have easily gone back after one.

• Just curious if any of you had to stay overnight in the hospital after your trial or the permanent?
  • Not after the trial, but there are several people on here who did have overnight stays after the permanent...I believe chilerox had a 3 day hospital stay with her permanent one??
  • no o vernight hospital stay just 8 weeks no work afterwards, sorry my eyesight is slippimg too.Had i know during my 20 years in the army, these thingd would hsppen i would of did it differently. But now i have total nerve lose from my hips down,
  • I had a laminectomy with the paddle lead placement and a "courtesy" discectomy since they were right there in the area, and I was home in my bed about 12 hours after I initially arrived at the hospital.

Forget McDonalds, I love the hospital drive-thru! image
  • I had early afternoon surgery and my neurosurgeon required me to stay overnight although I was never technically admitted to the hospital. It is her belief that you need the time to receive extra antibiotics. I begged and she didn't relent. Her partner came to release me the next morning and told me that if I were his patient, I wouldn't have stayed the night. I thought that was pretty rude of him but I do know that she does a lot more of these surgeries than he does. She is very conservative.
    I was not released to go back to work until six weeks after my surgery because of the bending and lifting rules. The recovery from the stimulator surgery was much more restricted than my disc surgery was.
  • my insurance company approved both the trial and permanent at the same time, I did have to wait 3 weeks for the permanent. One, time of year (December) and I got sick and had surgery in the meantime. Ugh! lol

I actually cried upon removal of the trial wires because I did not want to go without that relief for one single minute, let alone weeks. It helps THAT much.

Just the other day, we were on a trip (that required 18+ hours of driving round trip) and had gone to my birthday lunch at a nice restaurant. However, the chairs were hard wood. We were only there a short while when my nerve started flaring and I was trying to discreetly figure out what to do. I had no meds I was due for and had a long while to go to eat. I started that once familiar mini-panic attack feeling of "what will I do...." when I realized DUH, I had not turned my SCS up for the day. (I turn it down lower at night.)

As soon as I whipped out my remote and turned it up, I had instant relief and my family commented on the difference in my facial expression, demeanor, the way I held my body and of course, my huge smile.

THIS is the greatest benefit of the SCS - the POWER to do something about your pain rather than just suffer and hope meds kick in.

Good luck!

• Cheri, I had a breakthrough with my stimulator last night, 7 months after the surgery, when I used a new program for the first time to cover a recent issue that popped up in the last couple of months (undiagnosed right now but severe weakness and pain in my left arm and hand). My Boston Scientific Rep had just worked on me Monday morning and I had the worst day of pain yesterday that I had experienced in a long time. Last night I started fooling around with the new programs and I found the right one and have had the most pleasant 24 hours that I have experienced in a long, long time. Between some medication adjustments and the new program, I was a new woman today and appreciated my stimulator as much as I ever have!!! And today he told me (after I sent him a "thank you" text message) that he can combine my two favorite programs that reach two seperate parts of my back and I won't have to choose which one is worse! We'll make that change soon.
    Sorry to get off topic, but sometimes when you have a breakthrough like this, it is so encouraging that you want to share with those who are considering this surgery.
  • I am so excited to get this done I can hardly wait. If it works it will be worth the few weeks in between.
  • I hesitate to say this, but please don't set yourself up for what could be a major let down if the trial isn't successful. I really hope it works for you, but it may not. If it doesn't, you have to be prepared for picking yourself up and continuing to trudge ahead until you find something that helps.

My PM doc in Japan made me promise her that I wouldn't settle for mediocre result in regards to the effectiveness of the SCS. She could see how much I was hoping for from the SCS and she didn't want to see me go through the implant surgery only to be stuck with something that wouldn't help.

I've watched others get their hopes up too high, only to be devastated when they found the SCS to be largely ineffective towards fighting their pain.

Positive thoughts towards a positive outcome for you.

• Thanks C I know there is definate possibilty this will not work. I'm just trying to be hopeful with an attitude that if it doesn't work then well at least I tried. I really do just have a good feeling about it....maybe I'm setting myself up for a let down, but that's ok. I will not go off the deep end if it doesn't work. :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> I've watched others on this forum have it not turn out and I've been bummed for them. Thanks for looking out for me.