Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went to my new pain Doctor

BernieBBernie Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
First a little history, I have 5 herniated discs and 4 bulging discs in my lumbar and thorasic. Anyway, she told me not to worry about the bulging disc because they don't mean anything. OK, then she told me that the herniated discs in my thorasic are not causeing my pain in the chest and the pain when breathing. She said that a herniated disc will effect the nerves and it should only travel down. I didn't agree and figured that I would put this up here to see what everyone else thought.

I come here often, but don't post very much.

• I have heard a couple of members complain of chest pain and breathing troubles due to thoracic herniations.

I think you should go for another opinion.

• right.

I had a very lenghty convo with my NS about Tspine issues and I suggest you find a new PM. T-spine dermatomes go around and down. That involves chest/back/legs etc.

• Bernie my issues go down to T1/2. The pain wraps around my back under my arm pit and around the front. I'm guessing you are a guy from your name. The best way to describe the pain location is think of a bra. Mine never caused breathing problems.

It is very hard to find doctors who will even consider Tspine problems. You may need to consult with several before you find the right one - I had at least 5 before I found one who would even talk to me. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for the replys....
  • I also have a tremendous amount of chest/sternum pain.

Along these same lines, does anyone with thoracic issures ever suffer from your toes going numb. The toes on my right foot are constantly going numb. I know that most would assume a lumbar issue, but that I am not convinced of.

thanks patti
  • I never had problems with toes. I do have numbness in both hands at times.
  • Toes...If you look at a Dermatome map, you will see the more likely nerve source is S1 for the baby toes, and L4 for most of the feet and remaining toes. Have you advised your doctor of this symptom? Do they stay numb, any weakness? I would get with my doctor to see for sure what is causing it. Please let us know what you find out.

Oh, and I have thoracic issues mainly at T8/9/10 and all my symptoms related are around my chest for the most part. Other symptoms (for me) so far are close to the dermatome mapping...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • on my last visit - we did go over my symptoms (my doc is an Rh A doctor - being treated for Lupus). As she did a physical exam, she noted that my lower spine has lost its curve (so has my neck and upper back) - she believes this is a result from the constant back spasms. She ordered a c and t mri (repeats) - and it would be too long to be in the mri machine, but would like to do my lumbar was well.

Thanks for suggesting the dermatode map - My tendorness, you cannot touch my spine @ t45 - follows the pattern of the pain path. and I see where you say about the toes, my knees go numb as well after laying down to relieve the presure on my upper back.

I can tolerate the numbness, for now, it is the pain that is constant thru my chest and upper back, that I have been searching for answers for over 3 years. I have had mri's before on the t spine, showing nothing - but the last one was in 08 - so the doctor hopes perhaps the problem is further along and will present itself.

thanks again, patti