Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

any relief from torn disc symptoms ? (i over did it)

john 40jjohn 40 Posts: 190
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ssdi docs say i am able to do all my normal work activity's ,.(tee hee) so to day i drove to the ballgame sat threw game and drove home sort of . now i am paying for it big time (dummy)
i relay dont want to do fusion. any one with torn disc ? what works for you ? how long have you been dealing with it ?

• Yes. I have multiple tears in my spine. The problem that I found was that not all docs believe that they cause pain. Actually the inner gel like substance can bulge through the tear, press on a nerve and cause plenty of pain.

I was diagnosed as the torn disc causing some of my pain by having a positive discogram. From there I had an endoscopic microdiscectomy and PLDD that did relieve the pain going down my leg.

The only other thing that I found that does help is a back brace. Not just a cheap one that you can get OTC. I had a prescription and went to an orthotics place and got fitted for a really good one. It keeps me from bending or twisting in ways that will aggravate the condition. I hear ya about the fusion. I feel the same way.

I hope that this was some help to you. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions.
  • yes i tried a cheapy brace i had from home depo did not work i had my wife rap a ace bandage around it(me) kinda worked . at least it reminded me not to twist. .my newest surg told me it would be useless to do micro -d again and adr prob would slip because the way the last surg did the lamny.
    he say no need to do a discogram because of symptoms and to show up in the mri like it dose (hiz)it has to be grade 4 or 5. he say the worse thing is the fluids leaking out on the nerves .and may take 2 to 5 years to heal if it will at all . fusion sounds like cutting off your foot for a hang nail.
    dont no why they could not act like it rehernated and do micro d again and trim off a little bit and see if it would heal over
  • torn discs. I finally went for the fusion (three level) because I couldn't bear the pain. I realize fusion is not a desirable thing, but there comes a time when you realize there isn't much else you can do.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • i can not emagine having two more at the same time .you must have been going threw h###
    i talked to my doc about the patches you told me about before. she say prob not good for me i dont do meds well. its like there way to strong they dont do much for the pain but make me rely out of it or put me to sleep .like i take half a vicodin if i dont want to go to sleep . they gave me 2 shots of morphine in the hospital did not do much but make me wide a wake and hungry . the surg doc gave me something that was opiate base it knocked me out my wife thought i oded