Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

? if you had ACDF for mylopathy

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am just curious, did anyone who had ACDF for a mylopothy prior to surgery have increased problems with their feet after surgery? What happened to me was immediately after surgery I was unable to move my rt foot, which was weak prior to surgery, I was kept in the hospital an extra night because of PT saying I wasn't ready to go home, and was sent home with a walker. In Oct I noticed other problems starting..which I am not sure if they started before, noticed them in Oct) including my bladder, and I called my surgeon, but to get his attention I had to have my GP call him, but that is besides the point. I went to his neurologist, who did an MRI of C spine and T spine and said all was ok, but that I had cord compression in my T spine. Prior to surgery I had a neurogenic bladder, whiich was since Lumbar surgery of 01, which I had because of incontinent or bladder and stools, since then I have had no feeling in bladder, but feeling all other places, and time voided, and had no bowel issues. Now I am numb in the saddle, and am bowel and urine incontinent. I'm having surgery to put my urinary spinkter in a sling and will have to straight cath from that point on, I went to a colon rectal surgeon, who wants me to have more tests, but said it is nerve damage, muscles not working at all, but wants me to have a sonogram, and EMG, which I will have after bladder surgery. I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar problem after C surgery, or if this is from my lumbar spine. I am starting to wonder if my.. surgeon messed up, and has caused all of the above problems, since my C surgery was last August, I have told the surgeon and all that I had a neurogenic bladder before surgery, and all doctors I have seen I have told things have changed drastically since Oct. I am looking for answers....I did also have slight foot drop since my lumbar surgery, but now it that too is worse, and I now have no Rt Knee reflex which is also new, and my left foot is beginning to drop. I am falling more often. My neck is a lot better, but still am wondering if something happened during surgery that caused all of the above, if it did I feel like sueing my surgeon, he is so pompus, and when I say anything to him, like my foot and leg not being able to move after surgery, he said it was weak before surgery, when I said it is weaker now, he said I was wrong, when I said I have bladder issues that are worse, he said from L spine, but never did a MRI. If I sue him, I have to do this before Aug, because of my state laws.....

Any information will be appreciate, I just thought of this from something I read this morning, till then I didn't think there could even be a connection,,,,

• If you're bowel incontinent it could be an urgent matter. Go to the ER right away especially if this is a new symptom for you, no one here is a Dr. and sounds like you need to get checked out right away. Keep us posted. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Unfortunately no one is suggesting surgery, all have been under impression that this is from my Lumbar spine, I was just realizing that since ACDF surgery all changed, it was slow, surgery was aug, and in oct noticed changes, now I am how I am, and no one is reccommending surgery.

Thanks for the info.

• I am having ACDF at the end of July. My spinal cord is severly compressed by c34/c56 and they are removing both disc and raplacing with donated bone.

My doctor says this is required to prevent the possiblity of irreversable paralysis. Has anyone heard of this as a prevenative measure to future problems, if so would like your imput please.

Some of my arm and leg pain which was like neuropothy has been some what controlled by a medication called oxacarbizine and the rest which is primarily lower back and legs whith percocet. There is still pain of course.

They told me that the cervical surgery was a prority due to the danger of paralysis due to some trauma that might befall me or spinal changes putting more pressure on the spinal cord it self which is alreay being compressed which they fear would lead to myopathy and/or paralysis. Sorry I only have fear and questions with no answers to offer

thanks for any replies,

Al from Cincinnati
    AL S
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I am so sorry that you are having complications .... what have they said about the status of your fusion??

I did have quite a bit of left foot "laziness" after my 2nd 4 level ACDF (the major revision to fix the 3 level). Cleared up in about 2 months.

Some of our members do have bladder issues post acdf ... I am hopeful that they will see your post and contact you directly.

Interesting little fact about potential malpractice suits. Most surgeons will almost demand you wait a year before they will declare an ACDF a "failure". In speaking with an attorney on a different issue ... he mentioned that the filing limit for malpractice claims is one year post surgery. I find the timing of it all "curious" to say the least.

You may want to keep that "timing" issue in mind if you truely believe that your surgeon did something inapropriate.

Keep us posted and best wishes towards resolution and progression towards returned normalacy and pain reduction - healing.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• When I had my cervical fusion I was told by 3 surgeonsto if I didn't have it, I would become paralized, when there is cord compression, and the cord and nerves are being compessed you have no real choice but to have the surgery.

What happened to me, I have been told is not common. I actually spoke to an attorny yesterday, and he is wondering if something was accidently touched, or from how they had me lieing during surgery something was injured, I did have tingling and some weakness to my foot and leg, but after surgery I was not able to move it at all, and then all the other things started, this is not a normal outcome of an ACDF, please do not let what happened to me change your mind if you have decided on surgery.

NY long island
  • Thanks for responding and I appreciate your insight. I am sorry you are having issues from your surgery. I am going to have it although I am nervous. I will pray that your situation improves in the very near future.

thanks again

Cincinnati, Oh
    AL S