Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op recovery for senior citizen

cbernier01ccbernier01 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I am posting for my mom (Claudia) she just had surgery, L1-4 fused and cleaned out (bone spurs and herniation) she is now in recovery at Reston hospital.

I am told she'll be in the hospital for 4 days - but what can I expect for her post op?

she's 73 and has suffered from this pain for many yrs - which got worst 3 yrs ago after her hip replacment (seems the hip is too big by 1 inch and right hip is higher now her lower back is curved so he had to work on that too.)

Anything you can tell me on how to make her recovery better is great, for example:

Do we need to rent a hospital bed
Do we need to rent a lift chair
Can she bend? Twist? when?
Walking - with walker, cane?
Pain mgmt -- how long on pain meds once home?
Can she ride in a car for a day trip? when? how long?

Donna - who's mom just had surgery with Dr Hasz @ Virgina Spinal Institute

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please make a stop at the "Back and Neck surgery forum" for alot of info you are asking about. you can find a list for what you will need after surgery, as well as a chance to get many of your other questions answered.. you will need meducal supplies after her surgery and questions about medications and pain should be addressed by her doctor...perhaps there is even a support system at the hospital for the older patients. you might find information there as well. i am sure others will be by with some advice and answers as well. good luck and your mother is very lucky to have you with her through all this. she will need you very much! all the best for a complete and successful recovery! be sure and take care of yourself as well! Jenny :)
  • Hubby just had a spinal fusion two weeks ago. He is 66. He is doing really well so far and is in no pain. But that is him and other people react in different ways. One thing she will need I think is a toilet seat extender if she does not already have one. To be honest, we are not impressed with the info we received from our surgeon as to what we would need and should in the post-surgery period. This forum is a great place for advice from those who have been in the trenches. Hope your mom recovers quickly and bless you for being there for her.