Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can anyone else feel their hardware through their skin?

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
Im currently recovering from posterior cervical fusion with placement of rods,plates and screws. In the last few days I am now able to feel the rod at my collarbone. It is only the left side and seems to be protruding out quite a bit. I have had no increase of pain or decrease of movement. Can anyone else feel their hardware? Should I be concerned over this?

• i did, so I had to have it all out - that and my body began rejecting it. I had it for almost a year, then things started poking, I remember it was just horrid. Kinda like a sci-fi movie. AND, after about 3 years, one day I kept feeling this wierd bump in my back and my husband felt it when he would put lotion on my back. Then, it got bigger and when I'd soak, it would start oozing pus, disgusting. I thought maybe a boil or something. Well, one day, he said, it almost looks blue, very wierd, so he went and got tweezers, got hold of it and pulled. It was like blue fishing line all curled up after he pulled it out and it was about 18 inches long. It was unbelievable! I think I'd be a little concerned and at least talk to the doc about if at the very least!
  • That was definately TMI !!! lmao

Sounds like something that would happen to me.
  • My hardware in the neck is all anterior. I can't specifically 'feel' my hardware with my hands, but when I move my windpipe back and forth, I can feel it hitting - no pain when I do it. For all I know, my little discovery is normal?

Marion, hehehehe...eeewww! Interesting though! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I too had an ACDF and I can feel my hardware like Brenda behind my windpipe, I thought it was just from my surgery and would go away, maybe not!
    It is such a weird feeling. I cant imagine pulling something out of my body like that! Ugh!
  • Fusion at L5-S1. I'm also not that big. 6ft, 180lbs. I can't feel the Axial bolt inside my spine. But the 4 screws and rods in the back. The lower pair of screws I can feel the heads of them. My wife agrees. My surgeon looks at me and says, "Well of all the thing I never tell a patient, you need more fat back there...". lol

He told me all the hardware is in place and I need to stop rolling around on concrete floors. Until the fusion is 1 year out. He won't touch it. He'd prefer not to remove it but he will if it's a problem. I can feel the friggin screws digging some of the time.

Mouse you live around horses. That blue wire is "bailing wire for people"... ;-)

• Hey everyone!

I can almost feel mine. Unlike Graham, I do NOT need any more fat back there. But I am very aware of my rods and screws. And there are days when they feel very uncomfortable verging on painful. Dr says that is nerve pain, blah blah blah.

Mouse, WTH did they leave inside you? Was it suture material, was the surgeon flossing? That is wayyyyyy freaky!!!
  • I can also feel mine...My screws go through my ilium into my sacrum, and if I run my thumb around the area I can feel them. I'm pretty thin, and my surgeon said it's just because I don't have enough fat in my bum. They don't hurt so it doesn't bother me. I couldn't feel them until probably 3 months out from my surgery because it was tender and swollen so I wasn't poking around back there, but as the swelling and soreness went away that's when I noticed I could feel them.

I'd definitely ask your surgeon about it just to make sure things are ok and nothing is trying to back out.
  • I forgot to mention. Besides the screws annoying me. The surgeon told me not to go into extension. Keep in mind my hardware is at L5-S1. So things like press ups or back bends are not a good idea. The rods dig into my bone at L4 if I bend back. Since L4-L5 and up can flex but the rod doesn't move. I can poke myself. So all extension exercises are out.

I'm not sure how the rods are setup on cervical patients. If it's like Lumbar. I would think some people can also poke themselves with their rods.

I was looking at my Xray. If you count the threads on those screws. There are a good 15 turns of the screws in L5 and maybe 10 or so in S1. That's on top of a big axial bolt going through the middle of both. I'm definetely screwed....lol.

This discussion has been closed.