Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Travelling with your meds

hotcoffee29hhotcoffee29 Posts: 327
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Pain Medications
Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer.

I am doing well and slowly recovering from my surgeries, I am flying overseas in a few days and have my prescriptions with me. I have demerol and xanax, how do you travel with these? Should I have them in my hand luggage or pack them in my suitcase? I am not sure about this as I have never travelled with these type of meds before.

Just wondered if any of my "friends" here could give me last minute advice for my trip.

Thanks,
Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• Myself I would carry them to where I could get to them as quick as I can. Just in case I need them before the plane land.

Jim
  • Howdy HotCoffee,

Take your medications in their original bottles with the prescription (and I carry the 'extra' prescription label/receipt in my wallet) with you in your carry on. Aside from the chances of your luggage getting lost, people steal from our luggage as well. I've NEVER had a problem with security and formally working for the government, I flew around 50 times a year! Have a great trip!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I dont know the laws, but with you going to a different country you might want to check with the airlines, or at least look at their website and see what they say about it.

at least find out so you dont get a surprise at the boarding gates.

my best to you.
  • brenda answered your question.

she can type faster then me. lol

i still peck at the keyboard. :W
  • hey guys, thx for everything...........your both great!!!!

I sure don't want any surprises at boarding and can't have my meds taken away from me and I will need them while I travel.

Thank you Brenda, you have helped answer my questions. I leave on Thursday, so packing my suitcase tomorrow :-)

Thanks for the replies,
    Sandra
  • It's no problem. Here's the TSA link that explains everything. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

Always have them with you in carry on as the others have said, because you don't want to loose them to theft or baggage loss.

Also I recommend a small note pad that you annotate your medication schedule on. Since you will be transitioning through several time zones, this is the best way I've found to keep from missing a dose or taking too much. If you have a watch capable of dual time zones, always leave one on your home zone and use that as a reference for your medication schedule.

"C"
  • I would definately keep them with you. It wouldn't suprise me if they got stolen and that would be bad. Like Brenda said keep them in their original bottles. Enjoy your trip!!
  • You're very welcome. :) The countries outside of the US I've gone to with meds - Mexico, Canada, Panama, Bahamas, Colombia, Aruba and Brazil. Never an inch of trouble. Have a great trip!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    This is yes/no answer.
    I have carried a lot of medications over the past 30 years. I carry all my medications in a small pill box container (enough for 2 days). I have never been challenged at international airports (England,France and Italy)

I did have a problem coming into Bermuda. But then again, that was in the 70's, and I had very long hair!

But I think to play it safe, you should carry a copy of all the prescriptions you are taking and their dates (ie cancel date)

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've never had any problems travelling with my medications, but I keep my prescription info handy, just in case.

I'm having visions of Ron with very long hair (and possibly tie-dye and flares?) going through a Bermudan airport in the 70s... far out, man ;-)
  • Ron - How funny the thought of you with your long hair back in the 70's!!! Good old days huh?

You have all given me some great advice, and "C", I forgot all about the time change, I will definately be making notes of that and my I pod should keep me right with the different time zones.

I have made extra copies and receipts for my meds, I wouldn't have thought to do all that. "C", I have also used your advice about the medical assistance and that sounds like it will be a huge help to me.

I am taking care of a few last minute things and then we head out on Thursday afternoon and arrive in England on Friday morning, I will even check in on SH in England :-)

Why do I feel my pain has increased just with the thought of this flight? I think I am anxious, however I have follow up appointments with both of my surgeons the week I arrive home, so all will be ok.

Thanks again,
    Sandra
  • Hey Sandra! I don't really have any advice for traveling with your medications, other than just keeping them with you at all times!

I wanted to wish you a great trip! I know you have gone through so much to get to be able to go! Have a great time! I hope the time goes really slow and your pain allows you to enjoy every second!

I am so ecited that you will post from
    England and let us know how you are doing! :)

When do you return?

I'll be watching for your posts!

Save travels my dear friend! :)
  • I appreciate all your kind words, I am getting quite excited about the trip now, 1 more day to go!!

My DH is getting a little worried about me traveling now that its so close, but I should be fine. He will be with me so I am not going alone.

I hope you are doing better too and that your vacation has helped refresh you. Any lasting effects from your fall?

I fly back on August 4th and then I return to work, full time on August 16th. I too hope the time goes by slow!!

You take good care of you too!!!! I'll post soon with updates.

Sandra
  • Great advice above from everyone. Keep hydrated on the plane ride and wish you all the best with time well spent with your family away. Not sure where you're going but would love to visit one day. My Grandmother was from Birmingham. Thanks for keeping us updated while you're away. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've traveled to England before with my medications and have had no issues. I always keep my medications with me in my purse. I make sure that I bring a purse that has a compartment that zippers. I don't even leave it in the hotel safe, because I have heard stories of people getting robbed by staff, etc.

Some people say to bring a note from your doctor that explains your condition, meds., etc., but I have never done that.

I always bring enough for a few days extra, just in case there are travel difficulties.

It really depends on where you are traveling though because when you are in another country, you have to abide by their laws, and in some countries certain prescriptions are illegal. I use this website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html

Flower

• I agree with all the others, that you should keep your meds with you in your carry-on bag.
    Do drink plenty of water on the flight and get up and take a walk whenever you can. Have you got a cushion for your back to take while you travel?

I hope that you have a very special time with your mum and the rest of your family. I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to your post from over here. :-)

Are you flying to Heathrow or Gatwick?
    I hope that your flight is on time and that all goes smoothly.

I'll be praying for you, for the journey and while you are here.

Have a great trip and take lots of photos to keep the memories going. >:D<
  • Thinking of you today as you travel! Praying for your safety and relief from pain!

So happy your hubby is going with you!

Safe travels my friend!
  • I really appreciate all the advice. I have listened to you all and checked out the web sites so I think I have everything taken care of. My meds will be with me in my carry on luggage and I have receipts and copy's of my meds in a few different places and copies of my hospital stays for both my surgeries due to receiving medical assistance, I will get a wheel chair when we check in and we get to board early, this will be a huge help to me.

We leave in a few hours, everything is done and we are going to enjoy some breakfast with the kids before we go. I will arrive in time to celebrate Grandad's 90th and assist my mum at several of her chemo sessions so this trip is very important to me, I will cherish it.

I hope you all continue to heal in your own ways and wish everyone pain free days. Talk with you all soon from over the pond!!

God bless,
    Sandra
  • I am so bummed out right now, we got delayed in Tampa due to lightning so we missed our connecting flight to London!! I am so upset, we have no luggage and we are stuck in NC, hopefully there will be enough room for us on the plane tomorrow evening! I won't get there until Saturday, just in time for grandads celebration, but I will be yucky and wearing the same clothes for 3 days!!!!

I planned for everything but this!!!! Thank god I have my meds!!!! Lol

just a huge disappointment, I just want to get there!

Ok, next post better be from London!!
  • Hang in there. You can get some disinfectant towels like "wet ones" and tooth brush and paste kits in the concessions in most airports. Simple stuff like that really helps make that icky feeling go away.

"C"

• I am sorry to hear of your delay.
    We have been having some awful weather here in the UK. I think probably the tail end of hurricane Alex. Lots of rain and high winds.
    You must be so frustrated! :''(

What a good thing you have your husband with you; at least you have some company.
    Can you lie on the floor to destress your back? And you will need to have a sleep. I)
    I agree that a toothbrush and wet ones will help you to feel better.

Rest all you can to prepare for Grandad's 90th birthday celebration. I'll pray that you can get on this evening's flight. :-)
  • Just a quick update, we are still at the airport and all going well should be flying in about 4 hours.

My DH and I are hanging out at the USO which is a god send, comfy chairs, snacks, wi-fi, coffee....I am good to go!

We did go and get a hotel last night so I got some rest. I did keep waking up all night long but atleast I was comfy.

I am so thankful my husband is with me and I am not alone, he has wheeled me all over this airport in a wheelchair, he has been wonderful.

I am happy to hear I will miss all the rain and bad weather in London today and the sun should be shining for our arrival tomorrow.

I'll get there eventually!!!
    Still keeping fingers crossed we get on that flight tonight, it's looking very hopeful :-)

Sandra

P.S. I was able to shower at the hotel, and I used the testers for the perfume at the airport to smell nice, where there is a will, there is a way!!

• I'll be praying that you get on that flight :-)

Glad that you were able to sleep in a bed last night and have a shower.

The weather is improving and hopefully will be quite nice by tomorrow morning when you arrive.

Have a good flight! :D

• Sandra, and hoping that you are now here in the UK, enjoying the sunshine.

Hope that you are not in much pain after your very loooong journey.

Enjoy your grandad's 90th birthday party! <:P
  • Hi Sandra,
    Just writing to say - ENJOY YOUR TRIP! Your family will be so happy to see you, so lap it up! Take it easy, rest as much as you can - try not to do too much. All the best.

Stefany
  • Hi Sandra,
    Just writing to say - ENJOY YOUR TRIP! Your family will be so happy to see you, so lap it up! Take it easy, rest as much as you can - try not to do too much. All the best.

Stefany
  • Thinking of you! Hoping you are having a great time and enjoying your family!

I am so glad that your hubby is with you! And taking such good care of you! He is probably happy to have something he can do and be helpful!

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers!
  • Hey folks,
    Just wanted to say a quick hello from England. I am so much happier because I am here, finally!!!

I arrived Friday morning and within a few hours we were in the pub celebrating my grandad's 90th birthday and what a great day we had. It was fantastic and the weather is WONDERFUL!!!! Sunny, daylight til after 9pm, sitting out with drinks in the garden, just having a great time with all my family. I couldn't be happier.

Rest, ummm not much of that yet!!! LOL Lots of paracetamol!!! But I am surviving and hanging in there, don't know how, I am living on sheer adrenalin right now. :-)

Tonight was off to the pub for a Sunday roast, so yummy! Loving my fish n chips and lots more goodies to come.

I will keep in touch, thanks soooooooooooo much to everyone who has posted and followed me through this journey. It has all worked out in the end.

Hope everyone is well, let me know how your all doing. I love hearing from all my "spiney" friends.

Sandra
  • YaY!! So happy to hear from you and I couldn't be happier that you are finally where your heart has longed to be!! :) I have a big smile as I think of you with your family celebrating life!!

I know that it is best to rest, but hey, sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do!! There will be time to rest later! :) This is the time for living!!

So glad to know that the weather is great! I bet your grandad is sooo happy right now! :)

Maybe one of these days, you and I will make the trip again and meet Jelly! :)

Things are pretty good here! Amazingly I am starting to feel like my old self again! I am happy and have energy....which could mean trouble, but as we say in Texas, "Bring It!!"

Work is rough, but I am making it. One day last week, a family that is new to me, told me what a big difference meeting me had made in their lives! Sometimes when you have a child with special needs you just want to hear the positives that your child has that can be built upon. I know this is my calling and at times, I am just the tool God uses, so I will continue to give it my all! :)

Thank you so much for letting us know how you are doing! Keep popping in from time to time to touch base! Wishing you the very best! Take care my friend!

• So glad to hear that you are having such a good time in England with your family, Sandra.

Yes, lets have a spiney party over here. <:P
    That would be so much fun!

Shari, it sounds like you are doing well again. Back on the smooth track! Keep blessing those children and their families. :D

We've just got back from being away for a few days at our son's graduation. Very special day! <:P

I was very sore and exhausted at the end of the day, but I made it! I remembered asking my surgeon back in January, if I would be able to make the graduation in July, and he said yes. If he'd said no, I would have postponed the surgery.
    After resting overnight, I felt good again; so no harm done. :D

Enjoy the rest of your stay, Sandra >:D<
advertisement