Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Drug Cocktail

sinatrafan44ssinatrafan44 Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Pain Medications
Could I please have your thoughts and or insight into my new pain meds regimen..I have just been on Gabapentin ( 2100 mg) and Oxycodone (5 mg 6-8 /day)..The doc put me on a week of prednisone, changed me to Oxycontin (20 mg) (god$$$$$), tramadol, naproxen, gabapentin (2800 mg)and oxycodone 5mg for breakthrough pain..Right now I have little or no pain, the best I have felt in 18 months,,,I guess that I am worried that the med that is helping the most is the steroid, the one drug one cannot take for long..I am also trying to get set up with a selective cervical nerve root shot...Is anyone on this much of a variety of drugs for pain...I am also on 200 mg of seritonin for depression,,,thanks for your thoughts..

• I would reach the same conclusion that you did, that the prednisone is probably what is giving you relief. I always respond very quickly to that drug.

I'm obviously not a pharmacist or doctor but that does sound like lots of pain relievers to me...the oxycontin and tramadol. Perhaps the doctor just wants to try the combination for a brief time to see if he can get your pain under control.

Sorry I'm not much help. I had nerve pain that was never helped by medications so I don't have a lot of experience with various drugs.
  • I usually respond well to prednisone too, but can't take it for very long either. Of the times I've had to take it, I've usually found relief within the first 2 days. I'm currently taking 300 mg Topamax (100 3x day), 100 mg Pamelor, 150 mg Wellbutrin, 0.5 mg Xanax 3 x day (rarely), 10 mg Lortab 3 times day, 7.5 Percocet every 4 hours, Baclofen 20 mg 4 times a day, Miralax daily, and now Bactrim for 2 weeks.

These are my post op meds and the only change from pre-op is the antibiotic and and increase in the percs from 5 to 7.5.

My combination seems to be working for the moment. I am starting, just within the last day or so, to have more pain in the tailbone/sacral region. I'll address that next week with my PM. I'll just continue to walk, walk, walk...but my goodness it's hot! ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    the prednisone is probably what is giving you the quickest relief. It is a synthetic corticosteroid drug that is used to treat a wide range of medical situations. It is a very effective anti-inflammatory medication.
    Most patients do not stay on this very long because there is a long list of varied side effects. Most of the time, patients are also titrated off of prednisone. You start with maybe 6 pills a day for x amount of time, then down to 4, for y days, then 2 for z days until you are finished.

That along with the Oxycontin for Extended release pain control and Oxycodone for Immediate release (breakthrough pain) can be used to try to get a patient through a particular pain flare up.

Sometimes just breaking that pain cycle can do wonders for how you may feel.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Ron..thanks..It will be interesting when I start titrating down in a day or so..I'm hopping the flare has toned down, but i still think I will need the nerve root injection in 10 days...i appreciate all you do for this forum..Amy

p.s it has been a great week without much pain, except for today..lots of humidity, storms, pressure changes..always affects me..this week has been the best for over a year..