Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surprising dr appt

staceysstacey Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 2 wk post op visit today. I was very nervous about getting back into a car after last Friday's car ride, but everything went fairly well in that department. The ride was about 40 minutes. I was able to walk fairly well considering the ride. I was still having quite a lot of pain in the area immediately to the right of my incision, but the ride didn't worsen that any. Xrays were done and all of the hardware is in place and looks good.

After the xrays were taken, then off came the steri-strips. Everything seemed to be OK until the dr got to the top. The top inch of my incision is still open and infected. It has been, naturally, covered by the steri-strips since surgery so the visibility has been limited, but not that much, or so I thought..?...My mom and my husband have been checking it for me daily (twice) and I've been looking at it as best I could with a couple of mirrors and we all couldn't see the opening. Now that the strips are off it's very obvious that there's a hole there. The bulge, a large part of it, was an accumulation of pus that was apparently being held in there by those steri strips. I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm just a little floored because I'm a nurse for heavens sake! and I didn't notice a pus filled opening in my incision. Sorry for the visual folks...

So now I'm on antibiotics for a couple of weeks and the area is to be cleaned and covered a couple of times a day until the drainage stops. Hopefully that will only be a day or two and then we can re-steri strip it and let it close.

Other than that little piece of drama, everything else seemed to be as it should. Thankfully these post op visits don't start at 3 week interval :) because it may have turned into quite a nasty little bug by then...eww..

• to hear your 2 week post op went generally well.
    Also glad they caught the infection early!
  • Excuse me Ms, can I have your ticket please? One ticket per person for the lumbar spiney roller coaster ride! All aboard! :)

So sorry that you too are now experiencing the spiney recovery roller coaster. Hopefully yours will be a brief ride! :)

Don't be too hard on yourself for not seeing the infection. It's not like we can see that area well. Thankfully, you are now on the way to clearing up the infection!

Glad to hear the car ride was better!

Wishing you the very best!
  • You wouldn't have been able to see it unless you could take your head off to look behind you(I just had a funny visual,hehe). I am so glad you went into the doc that could have been bad. Sounds like the rest of your appointment went that's great!!!

• Sorry to hear of the bump in your road to recovery.
    Hopefully the antibiotics will deal with the infections quickly and then the healing can continue.

I had the same thing happen with the top 2 inches of my incision. It did slow everything down in my recovery, but I got there in the end. :-)

Wishing you good continued healing.