Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi new member just wanted to introduce myself to the community.

mkim680mmkim680 Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Mark Kim and I have been a back pain sufferer for 10 years. In 2005 I had a microdisectomy in my l5-s1 for a disc herniation that was causing incontinence. While the surgery was succesful for relieving the incontinence, I still have residual leg and back pain. It took me five years and a seeing other doctors on what was wrong. They couldn't figure out the source of the pain until 1 month ago when i saw a neurosurgeon. I was told that I have a annular fissure causing the pain and now i was told two treatment options exist. I am torn though on what to do. I was offered another microdisectomy using the xclose technology or get a ALIF. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the xclose system before? Also, i forgot to ask my doctor is my disc collapsed too much or am I delaying the inevitable fusion surgery. I was not a candidate for ADR because he said at the l5-s1 level they have not had good success with artifical disc implants.

• Welcome to Spine-Health Mark. :)

Surgery/fusions on the cervical spine here - L2/3/4 lumbar issues - but no surgery yet. Sorry to hear you're hurting again, but glad to see you have a doctor that has found what is causing it, and options to help you heal.

Though cervical here, the way my disk health was, I was told if they tried to decompress, I would still be looking at fusion(s) in the future. I decided for me, that if decompression would still lead to fusion later, lets just nip that critter in the bud!

Hopefully your doctor and you will come up with the best course of action for you. Again, welcome to the site!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to SH. You`ll find alot of support, and very kind people. Again, sorry your in pain, but glad you found Spine and health!!!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you found us! i just want to suggest you get more than one opinion. you may like your present doctor very much and trust him. fine! but just see someone else and see what they have to say before you enter something as serious as surgery and with options avaliable to you there. it really is a protection to you and is often in your best interest... all the best to you! i hope whatever your decisions, they work out well for you.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to spine health...Im sorry to hear of your pain, but you have loads of support on this site..

I have had 3 cervical fusions and 2 fusions at L3/4 and L5/S1 with an artifical disk at L4/5 as my Speciliast aid this is the best way to support the spine by doing the artifical disk wher he did it..

Please feel free to ask me anyhting you wish..
    Take care and once again welcome
  • I was offered an ALIF, TLIF and 360. I am so terrified though of getting a fusion done. The thought of permanent hardware in my body worries me. Also, what does everyone think about getting a endoscopic fusion done? I have been researching a lot about this option but it seems doctors are still using the old traditional method of fusion.

• I had the discs totally removed and then bone cages packed with human bone marrow were placed where the discs used to be and then they screwed and plated each and every level that was done.

All up I have 16 screws and 8 metal plates in my cervical and lumbar areas..