Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Pain from a new member

kimzkkimz Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello! My name is Kim, I am 24 years old and on the waiting list for my 4th scoliosis surgery.

I had my first surgery in 2002 to correct my 68 degree idiopathic thoratic curve. They were able to correct my spine to 36 degrees!! I was in severe pain and nothing showed up on the CT scan, bone scan, or x rays no one know what was wrong. It turns out I had an allergic reaction to the rods they used and was scheduled for my second surgery 4 years later 2006.
They replaced the rods with titanium and ended up extending them lower because the curve increase, they also broke 10 of my ribs (costoplatsy) to correct the hump I had on the right side of my back which completley increased my self image I was able to wear a t shirt for the first time without a sweater covering me up! I think it was totally worth the pain!

After the surgery I returned to my normal activities playing soccer, skiing, white water rafting but I was still in pain. no matter what I did I was constantly hurting, I eventually was forced to go to the emergency room (Im very stubborn and just wanted to suck it up) It turns out the upper hooks and screws popped out and was lodged in my right shoulder blade I was going in for yet another surgery 2008

Surgery #3 was easy peasy just day surgery I was back to my normal activities in no time, although my pain has never subsided.

I tired everything I could think of for pain, seeing different doctors, massage, acupuncture, freezing injections, going to the gym, yoga, physio therapy, Swimming, aquafit, not doing anything at all, I bought a tens machine, hot and cold compresses, pain killers, muscle relaxants, anti inflamatory creams/ pills. I quit my job to get one easier on my body, and nothing has helped I have been in pain every day for over 8 years.
I am working full time now at a desk job where I can sit stand and walk around whenever I want but I have to take my pain killers (percocet) to get through the shift. Its unbearable if I dont.

I got x rays 2010 and it showed a screw is floating around my upper body again. My surgeon said since I tried everything they are going to cut me open and take out my rods replace them with a smaller rod on just the left side and hopefully it helps. I agreed bc I am willing to try anything to live a normal drug free day. Even if it decreases my pain by only 10% I will be happier. My mood has changed drastically, I used to be a hyper happy go lucky person, i was willing to do anything, go anywhere, be the life of the party, now i hate going out, everything is a chore bc im always in pain, im so frustrated im not me. I just want to be myself again.

Now that you know my story, I was wondering if anyone has had the rods taken out and replaced with a smaller single rod, if so how did it go? Does anyone know anyway to decrease pain, my most severe pain is in my right shoulder blade.

• Hello Kim, welcome to Spine Health.
    I can't answer your question about replacing rods in your spine, but I wanted to welcome you to our community.

You have had such a very rough ride for someone so young. I really hope and pray that this surgery will relieve your pain and allow you to get back to your life, enjoying all the exciting things you do.

How many levels did you have fused? I have only had a 1 level fusion, so am full of admiration for all you have coped with. You obviously have a very positive attitude to life, and I hope that you will be able to enjoy a more pain free life again.

I think you will be glad that you found Spine Health. It is a wealth of information and you will get a lot of support here from our very friendly members. :D
  • Hello Jellyhall!

Thank you so much for welcoming me into the spinal health community! I honestly dont know how many levels I have fused in my back, all I know is that basically my entire back is fused together....?

If everyone is as friendly as you I will indeed be grateful for finding this forum!

I appreciate your reply, I hope you have a fantastic day!!

• You've really been thru a lot for someone so young. I really don't know how you've managed but I have to say that I think your positivity shines thru your post.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in finding a relatively pain free life.

The people who design these rods, screws, plates etc are always coming up with smaller & better ones. My son just had a new kind of cage implanted in him and so far it is looking good. I'm sure that the new rods they are planning for you will be just right!

Please let us know how you get on and even if you just want to rant about something we are here for you. This is such a fantastic community of caring people, don't be a stranger!

Peggy x