Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Since I am no longer working Im bored

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Its been 3 weeks now since I have lost my job, wow the difference in my pain. It is now controlled by my medication and as much as I hate to admit it being let go was the best thing that could of happened to me. I am no longer coming home from work and going straight to bed because the pain was so bad. Daily my spine felt as if someone had taken a baseball bat to it. Here is my question to all that are no longer working. What do you do to fill your time? Ill take all the suggestions I can get because the boredom is really getting to me.

• I think you'll be amazed at how fast the time goes when you don't work. I've talked with a few people that are unemployed and they feel the same way. Where the heck does the time go?

One thing you might want to check out is Big Fish Games. They have different kinds of games that you can download onto your computer and you get the benefit of trying each game for an hour before you buy them, and if you're having fun and want that game, it costs $6.99 and you start where you left off with the trial version. I love the hidden object games.

No, this is not a productive way to spend time, but it's a lot of fun and I try to find an hour or so each afternoon to play.

If you want some specific games that I personally find fun, PM me and I'll talk to you about it. I can get lost in them for a while and it keeps my mind hopping while my body can't.

• I haven't had a moment to breath between doctors and family. Once the kids go back to school it should calm down some.

I do find that I'm on the computer when I have free time. Between here and facebook. I like the farmtown game on facebook and hopefully it is helping to keep my brain thinking.

The paradox is that while you have all this free time you can't do those projects that have been waiting for you. I try to break things down into little pieces. So I go outside and water the front plants. Then I take a break and go out to do the back. I clean out one shelf in the closet at a time. I've been working on scanning my late mother-in-laws pictures so I can make photo albums for everyone but I can only do 20 or so at a time. My latest project is figuring out how to fix the leaking faucet. I just do a little at a time.

Hope this helps. And if you have the energy try some volunteering. See if you have a neighbor with little kids who could use an hour to go shopping. Or ask at the library if they need help. Or a biggie right now is vacation bible schools. They always need help.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,847
    When I retired last June after 34 years with the company, I almost instantly became a couch potato. But not having to spend 8-12 hours a day on the computer made so much of a big difference. I started to feel better medically, medication needs diminished, it looked good.

But the more I did nothing, the more I didnt want to do anything. Getting up at 9:30, watching some movies, showering about 11:30, grabbing some lunch, sit for a while. Prior to this, I did a lot of the food shopping, house cleaning and cooking. That almost came to a complete halt.

Luckily, my wife, said NO, this is not going to continue. I started to volunteer for the Hospital and at the Rehab center/Pool where I was going 3x week. It was only about 6 hours a week, but got me motivated again.

Then I landed the job I am doing now. Back to my roots, selling wines, beers and liquor. Small shop that treats me perfectly, so that I do not have to do anything that could hurt my spine.

So, bottom line, I discovered that there was really nothing I could do at home to keep myself busy and occupied. I needed to return to a work force environment and be around people again.

If you try this route, just make sure that whatever you do, keep your spinal situation up front and always a top priority.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Someone told me about them and now I am a hopeless addict! Swore I would never buy one and now I have many! But they are great fun and certainly can take huge blocks of time.
    Have you thought of volunteering at a hospital or library etc. One friend of mine works at the food bank. They understand that she cannot lift and cannot be on her feet for long and they found a job for her she loves.
  • It took me two years to fully realize that I was not in a rush anymore...that's when I fully appreciated my time. Just think of your life like your car in that you are downshifting right now.
    I cherish every minute and now I am watching my husband go through this phase for himself.
    Anyone with an active mind will never be bored. Give yourself a little time to 'downshift'...lol
  • Yes, the Big Fish Games can be addictive as you said, so I try and only play them at the end of the day, after I get stuff done and know my hubby will be home in an hour or two. That way I limit myself. Funny that you play those too. :-)

• You are so right. We spend our lives rushing along to get to our goals. But as we rush along we forget that there is so much more we could be doing.

It's hard to slow down because we have been programmed to "succeed". When you have had time to stop and look around and realize that the prize is all around you will fully appreciate life.

So Susan take time for coffee on the porch or catching up with neighbors and friends. I'm sure money is tight now but there is so much that is free. My daughter and I went to the beach last night to walk on the boardwalk and listen to the free concert. Take a book and a chair to a park or just your backyard. See what your library has going on.

I'm still in 3rd gear right now to use Krumpets analogy. I am trying to relax but keep feeling the anxiety about doctors and the fact that I don't have a job to go back to when I feel better.

I'd love to hear what you decide to do to fill your time and how you adjust to no work.
  • I left my job of 17 years on 9-9-09 after my 1st surgery failed to fuse (12-8-08)C4-7 and they went through back of neck 12-2-09 with rods and screws. I applied for SSDI and was approved June 2010. I noticed that for 6 months I was depressed and anxiety and my wife pointed out to me I no longer had all of the responsibility I had with employees, plants (wineries) and all the phone calls, meetings ect. She was right and I have found new things to fill in the time with going to a 12th meetings 10 times a week, I have been involved with this for 24 years but not as much as I can now. I also do yard flowers and take my grand kids to movies and fun things when I am feeling good. The best advice I have been given was from my wife, who is also disable but 5 years younger than me and that was PACE myself, I had the worse time learning to to do that but from painful experience I have slowed down and now listen to my body, when I feel pain I stay home and relax. I have new lower disc problems now they are trying to deal with, but I choose to live life the best I can with what I have, although some days I really hate dealing with this pain.