Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have a pain pump?

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
I refuse to have another surgery unless something threatens my ability to walk or bladder/bowel function, but I am so tired of this pain! I've been anywhere from 10-40 mg of Opana with vicodin for breakthrough. I take neurontin and the max dose of wellbutrin along with 100,000 u of vit d (per wk). Right now it's 10mg of Opana, but I'm kidding myself that it's touching anything. I recently had missing medications (20 vicodin and 20 opana)despite a locked bedroom door (I had to get a heavy lock box as well now). This is the 1st time in 6 yrs (I have 2 teens denying any part of the missing meds)that I've had this problem, but the w/d's and the increased pain is about to kill me. It's 3am as I type this.

I wanted to know how the pump does. The idea of such a small amt of medication that is implanted inside me (imposible to go "missing")is looking pretty darn good.Any ifo is appreciated! Gotta find other options or I'm going to lose my mind!

Also...anyone have a nerve block at L5/S1? This is another thought. I'm waiting to see my PCP on the 26th & I think I'm going to ask for a pain mgt referral to Duke. Gotta do something!

• Can't answer about the Pain Pump but if you're interested in information about an SCS (I have one of those), take a gander at the Spinal Cord Stimulator topic area. I have had two nerve blocks at that L5/S1 level. The first one provided relief for about 6 months and the second one got me about 2 weeks. The second one at least salvaged a long weekend this spring. If you have any other questions, feel free to post or PM me.

• If you scroll down to the 'treatment' section and then click on the 'pain management' forum, you'll find a thread started by a member (Pat) who just had a pain pump implanted.
  • to hear about the meds missing. You know not to trust the kids - it could have been them or their friends, but now you are identified as someone who has them, so look out. You might consider a safe that bolts down in the floor as the lighter safes can just removed. Even locked cabinets can be broken in to and put back together, but obvious dents or abrasions do show if you know to look for them. Also, tonight go do a strict count of your meds and keep that list somewhere else, hidden. About once a week or so, go recount just to make sure. Don't trust them one iota. They could be personally taking them or selling them for big bucks. I learned the hard way and now keep a week's worth on me, and the rest are in the safe deposit box at the bank. Sucks, but it's worth it. I refuse to be "prey". Once your children tell ONE friend, everyone finds out and you and your house become targets.

Anyhoo...I have permanent nerve damage at the S1 nerve on both legs and know your suffering. I have found great relief with the SCS - spinal cord stimulator, but do still take meds. You'll likely see my story and posts on the SCS board - I had mine implanted January, 2009, so 19 months now.

If the SCS had not worked or if it should stop working in the future, I have been told my only other option is the implanted pain pump.

Nerve damage is something else - just burns night and day and depending on the affected nerve, sometimes any movement will trigger a flare.

Have you had an EMG or nerve conduction studies to prove and identify which nerve is damaged? Since mine is the S1, the motor nerve, sitting, standing, walking....anything other than reclined or laying flat on my back hurts. And laying down hurts unless I keep 2 pillows under my knees.

Sigh....I hope you find some relief. For me, meds just did not cover it enough to allow me to function. The SCS combined with meds (and muscle relaxers, to keep the muscles from being in constant spasm on and around the nerves)

Take care,

• Yes..I just had a pain pump implant last month and just love it! It has given me my life back! I have Diladuid in my pump because I can't take morphine. Morphine dries my mouth out so very bad and also makes me itch like crazy. During my 3 day trial my Neurosurgeon did try one injection of morphine just to see how I would do on it but it helped very little.
    My pain pump has been a life saver for me. Rigt now I am on a tiny amount of Diladuid 0.5mg and it has relieved me of 80% of my pain. I go in Aug 5th and my Neurosurgeon will increase the amount of meds I recieve through my pump and that will help with more of my pain.
    I posted under Pain Management if you would care to read that post.
    Feel free to PM me and I will give you more information. There is a Yahoo Group, Pumpsters, you can join and find all kinds of information from people who have a pain pump.
    I can't tell you how very happy I am with my implant, it has given me my life back!! Isn't that wonderful?
    Just like any surgery it does come with risks but for me the benefits far outweigh the risks. Dosn't having a life again free of pain outweigh any risks?
    Best of luck....I hope you find wonderful pain relief just as I have.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
    BTW....I am off almost all my oral pain meds.

This discussion has been closed.