Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks and great

ConnieGoldenCConnieGolden Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It now has been 6 weeks since TLIF L5S1 w/instrumentation. I am dying of boredom!!!!!!!!!!!!! My pain is GONE. My problem was on Right side and no left probs. Immediatly after surgery the right sided pain was completely gone but was in agony on the left, YEP thought OMG I have seen sooo many probs on here that I thought the docs had messed up something but they told me that they took 3 hours to move around wht it took 15 years to mess up so it would take time. AND gee they were right!!! No more pain (except when I sit too long or move wrong) I AM SOOOOO THANKFUL TO MY DOC IN PRESCOTT, AZ and the YRMC staff. Alot of people said NOOOOO got to PHX or Flagstaff, but that was 2 hours away and I felt that the docs there couldnt be that much better to warrent a 2 hour drive after surgery than 20 mins. WOOO HOOOO.

• So glad to hear you're doing well. Just don't over-do it!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Sounds all good to me! Congrats on your continuing recovery!! Like Linda said, don't overdue, else you will pay! (G) Congrats!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Congratulations on your recovery thus far! It's so nice to hear a story about a good outcome AND good doctor and staff.

Keeping you and everyone here in my thoughts and prayers! :)
  • Boredom can be a dangerous thing for a post-surgery spiney. Be sure you are following your surgeon's instructions to the letter. I assume you are, or you wouldn't be so bored! Just remember that long after you have healed on the outside, your body will still be healing on the inside. It takes up to a year for the bone to set up and become strong, even though you might show signs of fusion as early as three weeks.

Being bored is a happy problem. You may find that as you get more active that you will develop some pain as you move about, using muscles that haven't been called upon for awhile. Will your doctor have you in physical therapy?

Good look as you move forward through recovery. If you learn to listen to your body, hopefully things will continue on smoothly.

• Hi Connie,
    It is great to hear of another surgery spiney who is doing well :-)

I'm sure that you would be happy to swap your previous pain for the boredom any day! I am just over 4 months post fusion surgery, so know what you are talking about. I am not back at work yet, even though I feel pretty good. Hopefully, I'll return at the beginning of September, when the new school year begins.

I also opted for a more local surgeon and was really glad that I did. I had various problems after my surgery, that meant lots of trips to see him. It meant 15 minute car rides instead of 3 hours!

Keep up the good work on the healing! :D

Are there things that you have always wanted to do, but never had the time? Perhaps now is the time to have a go at those new hobbies and pastimes.
  • Fantastic that your pain is gone and can understand the boredom.

When I had my surgery last year, I was lucky in that the weather was good and I could get out after a few weeks, but I still got bored, and I wondered when it would end, but eventually I could do more.

As others have said, please don't try to do too much at this early stage, otherwise you could hurt yourself and go backwards.

Sending you gentle hugs.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008