Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to say thank you to family...

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:45 AM in Water Cooler
You guys came up with such clever ideas for a thank you gift for my PT, I wanted to run this by you...

I had to take a year off school for my surgery, so I've been living at home the past year and am about to move back out on my own again. I'm 23, and my parents have been so incredibly supportive. They took amazing care of me through my surgery and recovery, and have continually made sacrifices to see me through this.

I *really* want to do something special for them to show my appreciation for all that they've done. It's hard to think of anything to even come close to expressing how grateful I am and how much their support means to me. I've kind of thought of the obvious stuff like maybe a gift card to a favorite restaurant so they can have a night out, or flowers and a note for my mom- I just need to do something special, so I was wondering if you guys have any ideas or have done anything for your family to say thanks...
advertisement

Comments

• Its great that you have such supportive parents to lean on. It may sound corny but a heartfelt letter/card from you will be cherished far more than a dinner out or gift card. Of course you could do both!

I think it is so important to thank our support people. My hubby, without asking him to, has taken on most of the laundry, vacuuming and heavy shopping. I know I thank him when he does these things, but that doesn't always seem enough.

Tomorrow is our 10th anniversary, and while we are very low-key people, we had a getaway weekend planned but needed to cancel (sigh...). I think I will set out now and write him a nice little thank you/I love you card.

Let us know what you end up doing. As a mom to two young girls I can tell you it melts my heart when my girls just walk up to me and say "I Love You", or "thanks Mom".
  • How about you 'kick it up a notch' and try this. Take them to their favorite restaurant, but pre-call and have it set up that they have a 'Thanks for the Support Mom & Dad' cake brought to the center of the table even before dinner is served! Some restaurants even 'sing' like the birthday patrons.

---- or ------

If there is a nice hotel nearby, get them a night there with dinner, and a spa? 24 hours of complete spoiling of mom & dad?

I don't know your financial ability, so just tossing some ideas. :) In Florida we have all kinds of 'romantic' 'Thank you' places all around. Tickets to a play they wanted to see; day spa; romantic horse and buggy ride; cooking dinner for them? Just some thoughts. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • We did a crystal globe of the Earth with an inscription that reflects the sacrifices they made and how with their help, the world is once again available to be seen.

It sits on the end table in the living room and is a neat conversation piece.

This is the one we selected.

• Ironic!!! I received the same Globe upon my retirement from our Intelligence Officer!!! Mine was made by "Godinger" as the "ShannoN Crystal"... I was so happy when I got mine. Lala, it is a wonderful and pretty piece for sure!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Lala parents don't need presents - having you is all the present they really need. They haven't done all that they have done expecting a present. The reward in being a parent is seeing your kids be happy and healthy. The fact that you are able to go back to school is all the thanks they need.

So make them dinner, make a card and give them a hug. You are all the present they need.
  • The best thing you could give me is that you're happy. Well I'm not well yet but told my Mother no matter what I'm happy. I let her use my air miles to buy Christmas gifts for her Grandchildren and get a couple of restaurant gift certificates from that way also. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My brother and I came up with the idea of a romantic dinner for two for both my parents...at their home.

We told them when they had to be home and that it was formal. Before they arrived, we set up a special table in a special place (in our case, by a window in the living room that overlooked the golf course), covered it with a white linen table cloth, lots of candles, soft music, nice china, etc. etc. etc.

They arrived and my brother and I "catered" their dinner. The first course was onion soup that we bought at a hotel where they had gone and loved it and brought it home. I can't remember what else we served, but we always hid in the shadows until we knew they needed another glass of wine or were ready for their next course.

It was a wonderful evening for them and we loved giving it to them.

Cath
advertisement