Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Others who worry about lack of exercise

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:45 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hello everyone,

Do any of you have health concerns when it comes to the lack of exercise? I do watch what I eat for fear of gainning weight( doc says not good for ADR)but I dont consider that walk enough. Are there others out there that worry about this also?

I had ADR and ALIF in May 2009, DDD, spinal stenosis, major nerve damage in both legs, surgery was damage control to keep me walking as long as possible. Doc said that he doesn't want me walking more than a mile a day or trade off with light water arobics, absolutly no swimming!!!! I was an extremely active person before accident, ran 3 to 4 miles a day, bike rides with the kids, volleyball, basketball etc. Now I can barely walk mile a day without legs going numb and increased back pain.

I talk with doc every appointment and he says not to worry about it.He said my case is special and that I need to take it easy if I want to avoid the wheelchair in 5 years.But all this sitting and lying down is really weighing on my mind. Im intrested how others feel about this.

• Exercise? What is that?

Bummer! Your doc is telling you one thing and every thing you read and hear about is telling you another. I can absolutely understand your frustration. (Especially after you are used to being so active!) It would drive me to drink. Oh wait, I don't need any help there. Seriously!

I would certainly get in that mile a day and the light water arobics if it were me. What about stretches and core strengthening? What about exercises for the other parts of your body? Are those allowed? Even when I could barely stand they taught me exercises in PT with the band for my upper body, neck and core. Of course there is the pain factor!
    Those would all depend on what you can handle.

Then there is the standard line: Seek a second opinion on how much exercise you really should be doing.

With that said,

Medicine is evolving around us every day. Keeping the rest of your body as fit as possible, the stretches, walking and water arobics, it all helps. Who knows what modern medicine will have to offer you 5 years FROM NOW.

Now, can somebody help me off the couch I think I've been here for DAYS?
  • I think doing swimming as laps are not good for my back anymore...i get extreme pain after...and so miss it..
    I went to library and got book on backies and water excersizes wow there were alot of them..
    I think walking a mile a day is great just keep doing that when you can...
    When i get fibro flare ups and can't really move much it really takes toll on my back..
    got to keep moving when you can....sitting is not good for us spineys ..
    For sure i can understand your pain and I can't stand to long my feet go numb if i do..but i drag my butt to heated pool as often as i can....
    I find its much better that anything I do my core strengthing..
    Also found some great dvd's on different types of yoga for spineys...
    just laying around for sure makes muscles weak.....
    I'm not in medical profession just my opinion from my unfortunate issues...
    tc hope you can get another opinion from a doc
    hey frogger get up off that couch(as i lay in bed myself lol_
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Wow, that has got to be a real test for you. Bummer. You've got to have faith in your surgeon. He obviously has your best interest in mind and doesn't want to see you cripple yourself. Sounds like a keeper.

Did he explain to you the why's and wherefore's of what would cause you to loose the ability to walk if you are more active? I'm just asking out of curiosity. Plus for me, it helps to visualize what has been done and what would happen if I do certain things. It seems that the better level of understanding, helps me to abide by the warnings and restrictions placed on me by the surgeon.

Hang in there,

• of course the only thing to do is follow the doctor's orders.. =D> he knows what is the best course of action for you and even though it may seem long and tedious, it is far better than starting an exercise program too soon and hurting yourself!!! be patient and it won't be long before you are up and about and doing all the things you want to do.. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Newhouse,
    Inactivity for some in the long term can be more harmful than trying to do a balanced approach, my stairs and walking days have declined dramatically recently, although I do try to do cardio vascular exercise and get that heart racing.

I represented my town playing sport, some running rock-climbing and golfing, and that imposed transition from not being able to do the things we once did, I have never fully come to terms with.

Focus on the things you can do, at our PM residential they had all the patients walking a shorter distance every day at a quicker and quicker pace, and a daily routine of the simple things we could do, we all know this takes time and experience and some days very little can be achieved, over the months everyone was doing more exercise in total. Even less than a mile in pain is some achievement, this is generally not a distance objective, it is about getter fitter with what we can do now, our new normal.

My son was an Olympic swimmer and he would never do the total distance all at once he builds up his stamina over a long long time. He is disabled and worked hard to achieve his goals and objectives.

It has been suggested recently that trying to reduce weight with no exercise is almost impossible, even at 1500 calories a day or less may not be effective in getting us where we want to be. Find what works for you and as said, we all have to listen to our doctor to set those parameters, exercising with pain is hard and takes unique and inventive ways to create what works for us specifically. Although as a sector we may be in pain, the spectrum of physical achievement is wide and varied, it is understandable that when we hear of other achieving improved function, that is an indication that we too could achieve the same goal, we are all individuals and should be treated as such.

Even with additional health problems my own doctor encourages me to stay as active as possible, that notion of not doing more has to be balanced on what is best for us in the long term or medical advice.

Take care and good luck.