Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro and decompression done in June- still hurt!

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone! I have a question, well a few :) Anyhow, I had microdiscectomy, and decompression on L5 S1 in june. I had a severely herniated disk, and alot of fragments all over in there. I got hurt on the job 4 years ago. I finally just decided to get surgery in june.

To make a long story short, I still have a lot of pain in my legs, it is the same!? My surgeon can't understand why that is so, I am going to see him again in august. I have been doing all of what I am supposed to do. I do know that this surgery doesn't help with the back pain at all. I am just curious to see if others have had the same problem? I did not get any immediate relief at all from the surgery. I wonder if I waited too long?

Thanks for reading, and any words of advice would be great!

• Sorry that you're still in pain since your surgery. Perhaps you have reherniated??

In 08, I had a laminectomy/discectomy/lateral decompression which didn't help my pain, which became worse.

However, there are many here that microdiscectomy has helped.

Keep following your surgeon's instructions and it shouldn't be too long before you see him again, and then he can re-evaluate your situation.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks for replying, I am not sure what is going on? They may xray me when I go at the end of the month, but not sure if you can tell if it is reherniated again.........
  • Hello Heidi

As much as I'd like to be able to say what's causing your pain, I can't; only your doctor can from what you tell him and the scans. When you see him again, ask him about possible re-herniation.

Have you got enough pain meds? If not, would suggest you see your primary care doctor. It's important to get the pain under control.

After my unsuccessful decompression, my surgeon said he'd done his job and now it was up to me, but that was wrong. I had a root sleeve injection, which didn't help and nor did physio and the hydrotherapy pool. I saw my general practitioner, and then it was months on pain meds and in early 09, I saw the neurosurgeon again, who referred me to another one in the group practice. After finding out that I had osteoporosis (but not in the spine), the second neurosurgeon didn't want to operate and told me to learn to live with the pain. I then got a third opinion several months later and surgery last October, which has been successful.

Perhaps you could do some gentle exercise in a hydrotherapy pool with a physio? Whilst it didn't help me, it helps a lot of people.

See how you go this month and if there's no improvement in your pain, then perhaps you could get a referral to another neurosurgeon. It's often a very long road to getting help for chronic back pain.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • don't worry it will take a few more months to get better if you are worried go see your surgeon {i speak from personal experience}
  • Thanks guys! I just posted a topic about the fact that I think that I may need surgery again. I am in A LOT of pain. I was getting somewhat better, but in pain but now it is just like it was before, even worse. I see my surgeon in a few weeks. I guess we will see what will happen. Back pain is horrible!!!!
    The leg pain is just as bad though :(
  • its torture .the only way i have been able to cope with it is with large amounts of pain killers /rest
  • Thanks guys, I will soon find out on monday what we need to do. I know that I will need another mri, the only thing about that is getting approved. I hope that it will work out! :T