Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

after surgery

silverbeamssilverbeam Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
how long after surgery were you able to sit comfortably in a recliner?

I'm having a micro-d done on wednsday the 4th and was just trying to get a ballpark figure on how long it will be before I can get back to my recliner.

• :H I think it depends on the actual person and ther surgery they have had..

What is a micro-d?? I live in Australia and you guys over there have different names for things than here in Australia...
    After my lumbar operations I wasnt allowed to have a bath or sit with my legs out on a recliner for the first 2 weeks once I got home..I have no idea why, I just did as I was told..

Take care

• What level are you having the microdiscectomy on?
  • I assume you're talking about a lumbar microdiscectomy? What level(s)?

I had a TLIF and was comfortable in my recliner immediately afterwards. The key for me was to put pillows behind me to push me forward. My recliner is very cushy and as long as I had those pillows in place (one behind my lower back and one behind my neck/head) I was very comfortable.

But, with that being said, you'll only know when you get home. So many others have been comfortable only in bed with a wedge pillow, or on the couch with a certain array of pillows in place and even some in just a straight-back chair. It differs greatly from person to person, but I just wanted to let you know that it's possible to be comfortable in a recliner when you first get home.

• it's at the l4-5 level, I know it's different for each person I'm just trying to get an idea of how long I'll be in bed other than the time I'm out walking.

I can't remember how long I was laid up last time.
  • I had a fusion at the end of June of this year, but I have had a microdiscectomy before. Honestly, I never have been able to get comfortable in a recliner. I'm only able to sit in straight back chairs, the harder the better. I've tried other recliners and still can't get comfortable. I feel a huge pressure in my incision and tailbone area.

I have, on the other hand, heard of lots of people who can ONLY get comfortable in a recliner. I guess it's all individualized..??..

Best of luck to you! and I hope you can find a comfortable position somewhere :)
  • I'm gonna say minimum 2 weeks. Quite honestly I wasn't interested in sitting in any shape or form for the first three weeks except for going #2. Just didn't want to risk being in flexion. Also the incision site will be a sensitive protruding buldge and I found it more comfortable to lay on one side or the other.

I actually mounted a large screen LCD TV over my bed before hand, not specifically for the surgery but it came in very handy for those 2 weeks that I was stuck in bed. I also had it wired to my laptop so I could use my computer as well.