Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain med pain controll

wdwgrannywwdwgranny Posts: 63
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management
i take 10/325 2 every 6 hours with tramadol 50 mh for break thru , if theppain is less then i try not to take med (the tramadol makes me very nauseated) till i need it but if i go longet than 7 1/2 hours i get dry heaves or pain in my calfs and joints so i take.i have been on meds for 3 yrs and will need them most likely forever , and i have aSCS to
question: do you find yourself taking med regular per dosage weather you need at right at that moment just ward off other pains maybe withdrwal thats whay i thin it is my dr said not to worry ?? its normal .i feel like a drug addict.

• And we all feel like drug addicts, but it's for pain.
    Please don't stress out over your need for pain relief.

• Granny I usually feel like you do at night. Daytime there is time to take a breakthrough med and let it work. My fear is not taking something before going to sleep and then getting a lousy nights sleep. And I don't like taking anything in the middle of the night because I have to get up with the kids in the morning.

So there are some evenings when I agonize over taking something or risking the pain filled night. I don't have an answer for you but I do know how you are feeling.
  • Personally, if it was me, I would prefer to take only as much as needed for pain, and not more than that.

If I found myself having to take more than I needed for pain to ward off withdrawals, I would discuss it with my doctor. I am happy to have a very responsive doctor, and I am sure he would be happy to help me taper down to a lower dose of medication that would be sufficient for whatever my pain level was at that point in time.
  • zola said:
    And we all feel like drug addicts, but it's for pain.
    Please do not say that we all feel like drug addicts. It is simply not a fair nor accurate statement to make.

I found that by keeping a detailed journal, I was able to track when certain meds would begin to take effect as well as when they would wear off. Many medications I have taken (both narcotic and non-narcotic) have caused physical dependency to the point that I would begin to suffer withdrawl prior to my next dose hitting my system. By working with my doc, and being patient (which isn't easy) I have been able to get onto different medications and break out of the yoyo these other medications created for me.

I hope that your doc can get you into a comfortable pain management routine.

• WDW,
    Knowing what works and what does not, can take time and experience, we endure more pain at these times of change and are sometime tying to reduce the pain once it has arrived, it is not always simple to reduce the level of incommoding pain as we need to react to what and how the pain presents itself and playing catch-up most of the time.

As C said, a log will highlight when the pain is worse and what activity levels preceded that increase, what subsequent strategy we use and how effective that was, we could also include our mood or emotion. Over time it may be then possible to see what increases the pain or reduces it if anything and introduce more of the things that ease our condition. We can without help get into the mode of manic activity and complete immobility as a consequence; our capability is between these two concepts.

It is always a balance of taking appropriate medication, achievable activity levels, good pacing and stopping or slowing before the pain reaches those higher numbers that we may indentify. Those things that increase the pain are not always easy to see, resting must haves some benefit as it is the first thing we do when the pain level increases, either through our choice or because we can no longer continue. Medication is only one element of the PM process and in isolation can bring many side-effects that are more detrimental that the benefits of the medication itself and finding that optimum level between function and levels of pain is never simple of easy.

We have to make that clear distinction between why we are taking the medication and not be associated with others taking drugs for alternative reasons, those who would assign us equal description have no understanding of pain, its management and appropriate usage, very little chronic pain can be effectively managed with no medication at all, although it may be our aspiration, it is hard to sustain.

Take care and hope some medication helps.