Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Follow up, almost 2 years

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Went in today for a 20month check up since TLIF. I am not seeing the NS anymore but a pysiatrist (sp?). I am doing pretty good. Lost 25lbs since then! Yay. I have been on nortiptylene 40mg to take care of the nerve pain I have had on the right buttock and thigh since surgery. It seems to have helped the most out of the other meds I have tried. I still have muscle spasms all day every day down the backs of both legs. I take a 5mg hydrocodone each night at bedtime for the pain, it gets me through the night. I use lidoderm on the sensitive spot on my right side starting at the scar and going down from there. I am having some new weakness in my left leg and hip that I hope go away soon. I am also having cramps in the left foot and calf, so bad that they curl up like palsy. Doc told me to add a new one today, tizanadine. So, not thrilled to be on three meds for my back/leg/hip/nerve pain, but am doing OK and have pretty good mobility. All in all I still don't regret the surgery for one minute, although I sincerely do hope not to repeat that series of events.

One Love,

• Welcome back. Sorry that you're having muscle cramps everyday but hope the new medication will help you out. Great to hear about your weight loss though. I hope that new leg weakness gets checked out and hope it resolves on it's own. Did you get x-rays or CT scan with your 20 month check up? Keep us posted how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No, no xrays since the 1 yr check up. Those looked pretty good, fusion had taken place and there were no obvious issues. I will certainly let you know about what is going on with the leg/hip/etc. I took one of those new pills last night tizanadine. Whew, it knocked me out! I needed it, I haven't been sleeping well at all.

One Love,

• Howdy Stephanie!!

Glad to see you are doing much better. Hopefully the rest of the spasms and pain will get better soon. I haven't had back surgery yet, but had cervical spine. I hope the meds help you get relief!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I hope the physiatrist can help you with the muscle spasms and you can gain core strength. Well done, losing 25 lbs. =D> It must feel good.

I found Tai Chi helped get rid of my muscle spasms and it keeps me calm. I do it at home from DVDs.

It must have been so good to get a good night's sleep with the Tizanadine. Hope you can get some more good nights with it.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008