Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A Young Boy's Vacation - Then and now as a Man

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
I grew up on Long Island, graduated from Hofstra University on Long Island and spent much of my younger years stomping around the various beaches , bars , and towns.

From Long Beach, Jones Beach, Robert Mosses State Park, Fire Island, the Hampton's and finally Montauk Point on the Atlantic Ocean side, to the Peconic Bay in the Middle to the rocky beaches of the North Shore and Long Island Sound, I've been to them all many times.

About 40 years ago, when my wife and I were dating, we went out to spend a weekend with her parents in Noyack, which is near Sag Habor and minutes from the Hampton's.

This summer, my son, has continued working as a personal chef for a celebrity. The family spends the summers in the Hampton and offered my son to live with them. He wanted to live in a more private environment. The family rented him a cottage for the summer that is right on the water.

When I saw pictures of the cottage, I recognized it as the same area, my wife and I vacationed 40 years ago. This past extended weekend, we took time to vacation out there again.

The waters and the beaches were just as beautiful as they were back then. It was so easy walking on the white soft sands. The major difference, besides more traffic, was that the Potato and Duck Farms gave way to Wineries. Now, we were on the South Fork of Long Island which has many wineries, but the North Fork has about 5 time as many wineries.

We had all the sun we wanted. We spent time by the bay, went to the ocean, had great seafood dinners and was able to get in some clamming and crabbing.

One early evening, I was just standing at the edge of the cottage property, a few feet from the water. The enormous bright orange sunset had just provided a masterpiece of art work and slowly sank into the ocean for the night. There was a slight warm breeze that made the waters ripple ever so slightly. The air was filled with sounds of slightly clanging equipment from sail boats, sea gulls, and the soft bells from the channel markers that provided an open musical concert.

For about an hour, I just stood there and took in all the surroundings. For that time, I went back to those early years, to where I am now. All that time, I had total peace, no thoughts of pain and discomfort. The whole situation about spinal problems didnt even come into play. It had to be one of the most peaceful and relaxing times I have had in years.

What really was amazing to me, was that we were basically standing in the same sand as we did 40 years ago. And this all happened by chance. Or was this just chance?

Driving home, my wife and I talked about this over and over.
We felt for some important reason, we came back to this spot. So now we are figuring out how in future years we can continue to come back to the place where a young boy started to grow up.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• What a touching story. Glad you had a nice vacation and time spent with your son and wife. Those moments of peace and no discomfort is almost like a spiritual experience isn't it? I've only seen the ocean while I was in Florida but it's so relaxing to be close to the ocean so peaceful. I'm glad you're son is enjoying himself being by the ocean and hope he has the same memories years from now. Thanks for sharing.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Ron, this is a wonderful story, and it sounds like a "sweet" moment. And, for you and your wife, after all you have been thru together!! I am not one to believe in "chance." Maybe it was a "small sign" from above!---Mazy