Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

arm/hand symptoms

I have a question and hope this is the right place to put it. I have lumbar issues, but that is not what this is about. Approx. a month ago my pinkie and ringer finger on my right hand started with pins and needles. At first it was only at night now it is constant. Also about two weeks ago I noticed that my left forearm is numb. Really no pain to speak of, and I'm not sure whether it could be a back issue or thoracic outlet syndrome. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me with your own experiences. I know you are not doctors and I will have to go in to see my doc regardless. I guess it would be nice to know a little more before going to see my doc. Any personal experiences would be very appreciated. I am super frustrated as my back pain/sciatica has been worsening as well, and now this. Thanks!

• Since you are going to a doctor about this, you hopefully will know soon what is going on. When I started having issues in my ring and pinkie fingers, and then the pain and numbness extended up to my elbow, it was discovered that my Ulnar nerve was trapped in my elbow and hand. I underwent surgery to transpose my Ulnar at the elbow, and then he released my Ulnar in the Guyon's canal. It took almost a year for all feeling (except the very tip of my ring finger) to come back.

Later I lost feelings in my hand and thumb, top of the forearm, triceps, biceps etc. That for me turned out to be herniated disks at the C6/7/8 levels. C6/7 was fused (8 wasn't deemed bad enough?), now 8 is going for sure!

Unfortunately until they do tests Czech, it is a variable puzzle! It could be your elbow, your shoulder, your neck, TOS....Grrrr... The list can go on and on. I hope my journey of nerve reactions is of help or thought? Please let us know what you find out. Take care. *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you for sharing your experience. I was sorta afraid that the response would be that it could be anything. Well, off to call to make an appointment with my va docs. It can take weeks to get in and see them though. I was in the military when I injured my back, and they cover all back related expenses, but they can be slow. Anyway, thanks again!
  • The VA down here (south Florida) is horrible! One of the ways I knew that my Ulnar issues (now) is from my neck is I can change the numbness and induce hand cramping based on how I have my head positioned!! Some of the testing (exam) they did when my elbow was the issue was tapping along my Ulnar down to my pinkie. I basically had 'funny bone' feelings all the way down! It was weird!!

If it gets bad, you will start losing grip strength; I noticed it first when I would turn the key to start the car! I had to move my body forward so I could roll the key! Opening jars became a pain; butter fingers and too couldn't cross my index and middle fingers! The intrinsic muscles (many of them) in your hand is controlled by the Ulnar of all things!!!

Now I flip the coin where now the neck is involved... I have pain now along the Ulnar that I can track up to my armpit. I shrug my shoulders and feel tingling across my back and mini pinches sometimes in the base of my neck. When my hand starts cramping (right only), I can get the fingers to release by putting my head towards my chest!!

I posted some of this Czech because maybe it might help you get an idea where your problems are, or better yet, allows you to give your doctor a better picture of what hurts and when etc. I hope they can get you in soon. *hug*

• and it took over two year to get it diagnosed .if you think you have this painful problem then you need to see your doctor and he/she will send you to a neurosurgeon they will do some nerve conduction studies and some blood flow test and maybe some other test to confirm it .i have the extra rib and have bilateral TOS its mild at the moment but when it come on its as bad as the back pain
  • Straker and Aviatrix, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks, but just within the past couple of days the numbness in my left forearm has crept beyond my elbow. The thing that puzzles me is that I don't have pain, so maybe it is not TOS? The answer to that question I will leave up to the docs as obviously guessing doesn't give answers. Thanks again and I hope you both have a relatively (as is possible) pain free evening!
  • No problem Czech, glad to help. I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope all works out at your appointment. Please let us know how it goes!! :)