Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Follow-up Tomorrow

BrianBBrian Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I have my first app. since surgery tomorrow. I think things are going well and I am hoping for driving privileges and a date to start my PT. I'm down to two 5mg oxy's per day and my pain is here and there but much better. I also think I should be back at work in a couple of weeks (I am starting to go crazy in my duplex). The wife went to Costco today and I was pretty jealous that she has the freedom to go around while I am stuck in a horizontal position. I hope everybody is doing as well as me with their recovery.

• Hello Brian

Hope all goes well when you see the surgeon tomorrow.

I know what you mean about driving and being able to go out shopping. The "four walls syndrome" is horrible. I felt jealous of other people's freedom and it was such a joy when I could go. So it shouldn't be too long before you can go.

Can you go back to work part-time initially?

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Talked with my surgeon and the pa. 4 more weeks of the brace and then an eval for pt. I can drive and will be back at work full time in two weeks. Because my job is just sitting at a desk all day I should be good for full-time work. If all goes well I will be able to start a normal life again in about six months to a year. Seems like a long time. I can do it, especially if it means begin back to normal.
  • Hi Brian

Fantastic that you've been given the ok to drive again. Have you been for a drive yet?

Recovery does take a long time unfortunately, but by following your surgeon's instructions, you should be fine.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Brian,

So good to hear the 'restraints' are being loosened! Just try not to push it okay? As you've probably seen by many of us, going back to work whether desk or more physical, you will probably get tired mored easily for a while! Who knows, you seem to be coming along pretty good, you might not get tired. :)

Glad to hear your follow-ups are continuing to be on the progressive side of the house!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have been on three drives. I am on a new medicine called Tramadol. I think it is a transition medicine to help me come off the Oxy. My wife and I went to the mall for a walk. I think today we are going to Homedepot to see if they have an aloe plant. She is five months pregnant and wants the plant to help prevent stretch marks. Anyway, Things are really going well. I am very glad I had this surgery.