Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jean jaye/glo unexpected surgery

jean jayejjean jaye Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Spiney friends,

I just wanted to let you know why I have been MIA. While I was running around crazy with doctors appointments for my son, I noticed one of my toes getting tingly and numb. I hoped that it would get better, but it started to spread slowly. I went to the doctor for a cold/sinus infection and mentioned it. She was much more concerned about the toe and foot. I promised that I would go to the ER if it got worse. I must admit that I thought she was overly concerned as there was no pain involved. All my pain is in the neck and thoracic area. Boy, I was wrong. It progressed, and I went to the ER. I was sent to another hospital for an MRI with contrast and had emergency surgery. It turned out that I had a benign( Thank God!)mass intertwined in my L1 nerve root. It was an intradural tumor that was compressing on my spine and had to be removed and required a lami. I am so thankful that I listened to the dr!! I am at Rehab. right now and will remain here another estimated two weeks. I can't walk yet, but I have regained feeling and some strength in my right leg. Please listen to the subtle feelings from your body. I have been a neckie for over five years, and I just wanted the tingling to go away on its own. I still don't know how much nerve damage I have to face, but I know that it could have been much worse. I hope this experience helps someone else to listen better to their bodies, DON'T HESITATE TO SEEK PROF. HELP!!

-Missing you from Mass.

• Glo,

First off, Welcome back!!! Sorry to hear you had to have emergency surgery. Benign - Awesome news there! I soooo fully agree with you on listening to our bodies! My body knows a heck of a lot more than I do, that's for sure! :) I'll send you positive energy to aid you in healing and getting better. Again, Welcome back!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I can't believe that happened to you. It's a good thing that you went to the ER and that the ER took the time to actually do an MRI !!! I hope that your recovery goes well...Take care!!
  • You've got a very good doctor and that must have been a shock finding out you had a tumour (thankfully benign).

Good that you're now in recovery and regaining some feeling and strength in your right leg. Hope you won't have too much nerve damage and that you'll be up walking soon.

When you're able to, let us know how you're getting on.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • hey glo,
    hope your recovery goes well...and so glad that er did a mri your very lucky to find a er doc that did that...
    been missing ya lady, and we will chat very soon
    keeping ya in my prayers
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Glo,

I am sorry you had to go through such an unexpected surgery. Hugs and a speedy recovery!

• so glad you are back and feeling better!! what a scare that must of been for you.. any surgery is frightening! please get your rest and drop by and let us know how you are doing!! all the best! get well soon! Jenny :)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Glo

I was wondering where you were, we missed you.

I am so glad you listened to your Dr and you had the necessary mri and then surgery, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see you in chat soon.

TC Liz xx

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Good you went and got checked out. I hope you're feeling better and recover well from your surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hey, Glo, so sorry you had to go through that! But, your getting better, that`s the most important thing, miss chating with you, I`m sending you prayers and hugs, tc
  • Glo, Sorry to hear the news. Hope you have a speedy recovery. You sure have your plate full. Hope son is better, many blessings to you. Love, Cynthia
  • Glo,
    When I read your post, a flood of memories came back to me. Instead of a tumor, I had a spinal infection that came out of the blue. For one week I toughed it out, seeing 2 doctors who told me I had the flu which settled in my back. I ended up in my local hospital and for 5 days they pumped in antibiotics but had no idea why I was so sick. I finally was sent off to Boston (like you I'm from Mass)had emergency surgery, and ended up in a rehab hospital to learn to walk again.
    I wish my doctors who I saw originally were as good as yours because the delay in removing the infection caused me permanent nerve damage.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • Thank you all for taking the time to respond and for your kindness and well wishes!! I really hope that everyone pays attention to the subtle signals from your body. It is amazing how serious they can be. I will have PT and OT at home. I must tell you that although the PT was very difficult at New England Rehab., all the people there and staff were just wonderful!! Thank you again and many Blessings to all!!

• Glo,

Welcome back again! :) Wow, now that was a long stay. Glad to see you are back with us, and doing better. I wish you continued healing and recovery. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Welcome home again!
    I bet that it feels great to be back after your trauma and long stay in hospital. :-)

What a scarey thing to happen, but it sounds like you are well on the way to recovery now.

Which toe was it that had tingling and numbness?
    Had you had surgery before?

Before my fusion, I had a toe that had horrible electric shock pain/stabbing/burning. The fusion seemed to get rid of it, but since about 3/4 months after surgery it is coming back, and getting progressively worse. I get numbness in it too, especially when I first get up in the morning. I am hoping it is nerves healing, but not sure that would cause it to progressively get worse. I am having lots of pain/neck symptoms so have also wondered if that could be causing it.

I wish you well in your recovery, and thanks so much for thinking to give a warning to others to try to save them missing important symptoms. :D

• Hi Glo, Was thinking about you and was glad to read that you are home and recovering. Will phone you soon but first will let you have some recovery time at home with with your wonderful husband. Hope things are improving for you. Hugs, Cynthia
  • I just heard yesterday that you had to have emergent surgery. Glad all went well and you had a good experience at NE Rehab. I had my hardware removed on 8/16 and now have shingles, grrrr, so have been in a bit of a fog. I haven't been reading the forums that much lately.

Hope to see you in chat soon. ((((((((hugs))))))))

• I am glad you paid attention to your body and doctor. I know you have had a rough time with your health and dealing with your son's also. Please keep me posted Glo.