Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WC and AFLAC???

TWHladyinLVTTWHladyinLV Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi everyone !!
I had a question concerning WC and AFLAC benefits. If you are on WC getting paid a STD or LTD can you still collect AFLAC benefits for say long term dissability?
I think I may loose my job and be let go with a medical separatio, if I do would I qualify for my AFLAC for dissability benefits?

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You qualify for your AFLAC if you are disabled and unable to do your job, not just if you leave your job. For example, if you are now not working and are disabled you should apply for any benefits BEFORE loosing your job. Or AFLAC may wonder if you are only applying due to job loss. Also, is there any chance your employer offers Long Term Disability? If so you'd have to go out of work for a disabling condition BEFORE termination of employment.

AFLAC contracts vary, but many do not cover an on-the-job injury or illness.

Get a copy of your exact AFLAC insurance document to determine if work related conditions are excluded.

All AFLAC policies are different and offer choices at enrollment for Benefit Period (how long you can receive AFLAC if unable to work) and Elimination Period (how long you must be unable to work before AFLAC benefits can begin).

The plan my husband has an elimination period of 0/7. That means if he is disabled due to a non job related injury his elimination period (waiting period) is 0 days so benefit can being the day after the injury, but for sickness he must wait 7 days and benefits would begin on day 8. AND, his benefit period is 6 months so the max AFLAC he will receive is 6 months worth of the benefit he chose.

When you sign up for AFLAC you choose some options:

From what I've seen here are the most common AFLAC elimination periods for INJURY / SICKNESS and you choose one when you enroll:

And Benefit Periods of:
    3 months
    6 months
    12 months
    24 months

Amount you can receive depends on what was offered and can never be an amount greater than you were earning. So if you were earning $800/mo but signed up for a $1000/mo AFLAC benefit they'd lower it since you'd be profiting from being out of work.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos