Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion date

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All..
Saw My Neuro yesterday. My L-5/S-1 fusion is now scheduled for Sept 20. I'm a big baby w/this stuff. However I have had a 3 level acdf in '08. Anyway he cannot guarantee pain relief or that the numbness in my thigh and foot will stop. He did say that recovery estimation time is 9-12 months. I have quit smoking as he asked me to do. I'm on Chantix and it seems to work somewhat. 3 Days so far w/out a cig. He was glad to hear that as he will not operate otherwise. I was a 2.5 pk a day smoker for roughly 35 yrs. The cravings come and go, but i wont give in.More importantly,i'm scared but i go thru this all the time....the anticipation is worse than the procedure usually.As u all prob know from other posts, i live alone and might have to go into a re-hab. I hope not but i might have to. I also have a dog which my x will take. I'm just scared and dredding this and now i got a month to bug-out over it, but i cannot live like this anymore...
Thanks everybody!

• You've got the date set and you've quit smoking that's awesome. That's good your ex is going to look after your dog for you also that's a great support for you. I hope you'll keep us posted on how you're doing. I haven't had surgery but many others have recently has surgery here that will help you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Paul

I'm glad you've got your surgery date. As scary as it is, it's a time to work towards and get everything at home ready. You'll be surprised at how busy and focused you'll be. Make up your own checklist and tick off the items as things get done.

Well done on being able to give up smoking. You'll eventually feel so much better for it and once you're into recovery, your fusion will heal much better.

That's terrific that your ex will look after your beautiful GSD. I'm on my own too and that was a big concern. A dear friend stayed in my house for the 6 days that I was in hospital. Knowing that they were well looked after took a lot of pressure off me. You'll find when you get home that your dog will know that things are different and will be very gentle with you. My two Labrador girls were fabulous and adjusted to the changes and not being able to go out walking over the park.

Take care >:D<

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Ooooh i'm the day after you , and im also not smoking either !!
    I did really well earlier this year , packed up for 4 months , then got upset and it led to one or two occassional ciggies ,
    Now i have the date , ive stopped completley !!
  • Good Luck to you, hope it goes well !
  • Yes, thanks for that. Luckily she will look after my "girl"...it's hard being on your own and I hope I can get back to doing some things somewhat soon after the surgery. I know it cannot be rushed and one has to be careful.6 Days in the hospital? My dr told me 1 night....but then he did say, best case scenario.I suppose I just gotta bit the bullet, things arent getting better doing nothing about it,so it must be done.

• In the private hospitals here in Australia, they seem to let us rest more, which is nice. I guess it depends on the surgeon. I still had the catheter, blood thinning injections, flow-trons and stockings for three days. When I had the decompression surgery in 08, I was also in for a week. Perhaps it depends on how many of the beds are occupied in the hospital and the admissions for the coming week.

Would think one night would be a best case scenario, but you and your surgeon will know the right time for your discharge. Anyway, you'll be wanting to get home just to be with your girl.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Thanks..ur right, i'll miss her more than anything.
  • Hey Paul, hang in there! I so understand the fear leading up to your surgery date. I was the same way! Try to stay busy, hang with friends and prepare your home, moving things you need to counter height as you won't be able to bend.

My fusion was a 360, both anterior and posterior with my own bone grasp. I was told I would be in the hospital a minimum of 3 days. I had some complications and was in for 7 days.

Rehab is a good option for the first few days, as you really will need someone to help you. Definately, someone to get your meals, etc.

Stock up on food, easy to prepare meals, etc.

I am almost at the 6 month mark, it has been a long, long journey. But, I am getting my life back! And it feels great!

Hang in there! You are on the road to recovery and getting your life back! :)