Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Pain after C5-C6 Fusion.

ReefkprRReefkpr Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a Cervical Fusion back in December. My recovery was going well up until about 3 weeks ago. I woke up and had pain like I never had the surgery. I went into my Primary care Dr. and they ordered an MRI. I am posting the finding of the MRI and am hoping somebody could explain the findings to me. Do you think I will need surgery again? If so what do you think or have you experienced. Many thanks in advance. Phillip

• First let me say welcome to spine-health, have a look around and you will find many members going through what you are or whom have been there.

As far as the Mri itself we refrain from reading mri's as none of us our medical doctors and really can interpret what is going on in your spine. With that being said what kind of pain did you wake in and was it in the same place as the original pain as before? When will you be returning to the doctor's whom ordered the mri and getting the results. There is such a thing as adjacent disc disease in which the fusion puts enough stress on the remaining disc that it causes issues. Does that mean you will need surgery? Not necessarily they can still provide conservative treatment, in which they can treat the new pain. On your original MRI was there any other issues with adjacent levels?

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health and if i can be of any other assistance don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
  • Tamtam Thanks for your response. I should have know that most people on the forums without a medical degree would not be able to help me. I guess i was just hoping that somebody would ease my mind. I have calmed down now and will wait till next week when I see my Neuro Surgeon. I have been through so much and was doing really well until my pain showed up again. Oh well nothing I can do but keep a positive attitude. My pain is simular to before aching pain to my right side of neck and numbness to my right and sometimes left hands. Somedays are better than others but ultimately I think I will need some type of Surgery to correct this new condition. I will stay positive and hope this will just work itself out. I will keep this forum posted. I really found comfort in this forum during my first surgery. So Thanks to everyone. We are all in the same boat just different situations. Good luck to all.
  • Reefkpr,

Aside from the fact that we aren't medical types, for the sake of an example. You and I could have the exact same MRI. One might require surgery, while the other would not. Another words, short of a complete failure, MRI is just a piece of the overall puzzle to decide what is best for your situation. I've seen some pretty bad MRI's on here, and yet the submitter has almost no symptoms!?! Others with little indentations on the nerves in just the right place, and bingo, surgery. I hope you get answers next week. Please let us know how it goes. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.