Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Op Update after NS Visit for ACDF

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my post op visit with my NS on Frisay August 20, 2010.
I am still having alot of pain in the neck from base of skull to upper spine and across both shoulders. He said I have alot of arthritis issues on top of the disc problems. I can not take anti-inflamitory meds though because of healing and the fusing process (I guess). He did prescribe oxycodone 10 mg 3 x day and ativan 1 mg 3 x day. Also he prescribed physical therapy begining in about 2 weeks.

I still can't believe that nurse practiotioner told me that there is not much pain involved with this type of surgery. What the hell was she doing in nuero surgery intensive care?

Ironicly after the doctors appointment I have had much worse neck pain which i attribute to the car ride, I had my seat leaned back which I now think was a mistake.

Thanks to all mt friends out there who have offered support all through this process. As always any comments or thoughts on my status will be appreciated.

I go back for a visit on October 1st at which point we will be discussing my lower back surgery.

• Well it's great that the surgery went well. Unfortunately we forget that this is not a fix all. I felt great after my surgery and then at about 2 months the pain came back and has gotten worse.

Sounds like we both have arthritis issues. What I have learned is that arthritis is not just for little old people. You should do some research on the term and how it relates to the spine.

• Thanks for the reply, I will be researhing arthritis. It seems my spine is just a mess, upper and lower. I just pray that the pain and/or paralysis doesn't become a way of life permantly. Right now I have the recovery pain from the ACDF, and the chronic pain in lower back, hip, legs, and feet. Trying to manage it all and that's why I want the lower back surgery ASAP. I never really had any severe spinal injuries so it baffles me. The only thing I can even think of is I was a police officer and was in the patrol car 8 to 12 hours a day starting in 1974. Back in those days the seats were very soft and certainly not good on the back. It just seems I have alot of damage all things considered.
    AL S