Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

removing meds

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
This may seem silly to many of you and that only means you have a great doctor....but has anyone wondered if there are meds that could be stopped because something new that you are taking is doing the job?

I find that doctors only seem to add medications, not stop them. Maybe this is for good reasons but I sometimes wonder if we are taking things that are no longer needed because something that was added is handling it all.

Does anyone feel this way too?

PS I am not bashing doctors. Just wondering if I am alone in this feeling. I have had this happen in other specialties and when it was questioned they just said "yeah you could stop taking that".

• Hi Kris!!

Before I was put on Lyrica, my daily diet if you will included Darvocet. Once on Lyrica, I barely take my Darvocet! I keep the pills as breakthrough, or bad days, but I am almost not taking them since the Lyrica! I guess that falls in line with 'removing meds' per say. :)

I think from what you posted, if I found other meds given work better, then like you, I would ask to go to the new medication and drop the other. But since I am figuring you have the other meds at home, I would make sure the new medication was the 'less pain' path before I did that? Take care. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Kris,
    The very notion of removing medication from patients is always difficulty and for the most part we should constantly review the appropriateness of the medication we are taking, it should be our objective to be taking suitable levels and attempting to marry the current pain with a proportionate use.

It is always a balance of volume and quality of life, no doctor would suggest that any medication could be reduced in they thought that this was not beneficial in the longer term for any the patient.

Some here suggest that if we reduced all those things that made the pain worse could we take less medication as a consequence and that is an interesting proposal.

In my naivety I once stopped taking some of the medication the doctor had prescribed and although understandable in my quest to reduce the overall volume, it proved not to be beneficial. It reflection of our liver and associated long term health we should all review in consultation with our doctor the most appropriate type and use.

If you thought some duplication was being used you might discuss this in more detail with your practitioner and most would encourage us in the decision that we had based on our specific case. With some experience I would only change one thing at a time so that if it did not work you could revert back to the normal routine, we should all be vigilant trying to provide sufficient relief most of the time is a lifelong objective as we try to envisage and manage our pain levels.

I hear that you want to try this option and I would support anyone in attempting to find some reduction that was recommended or appropriate. Only you can decide your next option.

Take care and good luck.

• I was having sharp pains in my neck and my Dr wanted me to take one 150mg of Lyrica along with the Cymbalta 120mg and I took it for 3 days and stopped as it wasn't helping and the pain stopped. I was still on a water pill and I stopped taking it because I stopped taking lyrica and lost 45 lbs then she wondered why I stopped lasix but I was the one who asked for it and when the swelling went away I stopped taking it. I'm not self medicating or stop medicating but I tell her her and I guess she knows me as a friend also.

So yes always best to research each med you're taking and the reason why you're taking it because you want to keep the Dr. up to date on your current meds and if you still need them. You have to keep your Dr. informed because like my thick chart she has she needs to update things with the patient. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I have to give my doctor credit for constantly working with and for me. He tries different combinations to offset where I am at with my pain (and pocketbook). We need to avoid the highest priced meds, while at the same time providing effective pain relief. Over the years we have tried adding to the mix ... and when we find that a med is providing little effective pain management ... he dumps it ... and we move along.

Over time, what works well for months can fizzle out ... and we will change ... I the change doesn't work .... we move along. We always have the goal of providing effective coverage .... without going overboard. I could provide numerous examples .... but that would be a bit boring .... but yes ... my doctor removes medications .... and the overall goal is to be on as few meds as possible .... which now I believe is about 6 a day .... down from 9 at one point.

Hoping for a reduced pain day for all,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• The doctors I see, all do a medication review at the beginning and end of each appointment. That way they are up to speed on what I am taking and why and once the examination/discussion is complete, any recommended changes are submitted right in front of me before I leave the exam room.

I would have thought that this is something unique to military medical facilities, however the civilian providers I see all do the same thing.

This also includes any supplements or OTC medication I am taking.