Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spasms from an mri?

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
today I had an mri for cervical and thoracic, it lasted just over an hour. Due to laying there that long and holding still - I really hurt during and alot at the end of the testing. I have been in spasms thru my neck and upper back since i did this @ 11 am this morning.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this as a result - and if I will wake up tomorrow in better shape than I am today?

• Yay! You finally got your MRI's done. Cool. I would always take a muscle relaxer prior to the MRI to help me relax and hopefully keep from having a spasm during the imaging process.

Are you able to take a muscle relaxer tonight or soak in a hot tub? I hope the spasms let go soon and you can get some rest.

Can't wait to hear what your results show.

• Even though mri's are a necessary test to have done,i always had more pain during and after them. I always made sure that i took my pain meds. just before the tests so that they were working on me for the time i was in the machine. I hope that you find out soon whats going on.Even though it maybe bad news that you get its sometimes better to know then not too.
  • I find that stress is a major trigger for muscle spasms. Just the anticipation of the test and then the worry about staying still is enough to set me off. I would try a warm bath/shower and a good movie to take your mind off everything.
  • I rarely have recumbent MRI's anymore, but my last for my thoracic and lumbar was recumbent. The only way I could lay on my back for it ... the tech had to put pillows under 2 areas of my lower back, and under my knees. When done, he had to help get me up. I thought I was going to be a hurting digit when I got home, but looks like the pillows worked! Next time you get an MRI, see if they can do that for you. Take care. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It wasn't really time for another dose of pain meds, so that was half of it for me and I wanted to be able to get in the positioning that brings about stabbing pain....boy am I sorry that I did that to myself.

Last week I had a "female" surgical procedure - a freezing of my uterus to stop my over the top monthly visits (or 3 week visits) - so baths, swimming and hot tubs are out for at least another week.....oh my timing is horrible!!!! After I take a really hot bath, I can usually buy myself @ 1/2 hour or so.

The techs had to help me off the table, on top of all this I (have never had this before) had a bad case of vertigo this weekend. A couple times I almost ended back on the floor after standing up...it is slowing down...but man oh man that was not fun.

My sister said it best "It is really getting to be a little unfair - I don't think you are going to be able to take much more!"

Tech's said, the films are in the system, doc should have them tomorrow and I should hear from her soon. I wish they would just let you know what they see..my mom was an Xray tech, and no they aren't docs, but they learn to read films!

thanks for all your guidance - will update @ the mri - hopefully it is informative to what has been going on.
  • Wouldn't it be nice if we could just spread this all out over time? I know for me it seems to be dry spells of nothing happening and then down pours.

I think often the techs see more because they have to make sure before you leave that the films are good. So they have a half hour or more of looking at that screen. Compared to a radiologist who I'm guessing can spend as little as 10 minutes on a study. Also in my experience the tech talks to you and asks specific questions about why you are there. We never get to talk to the radiologist. SOmething seems messed up there.

Well I hope you get good news today.
  • I had put Xs on my back - because it is too hard to reach, but wanted to show this to the tech prior to the test. The tech, had me laying down with no conversation, just here are your ear plugs, etc.

when things were over - the 2 techs came out, and said I did really well laying there still. Then one of them notices my Xs - and asked, is that were things hurt? I was actually surprised they said i laid still. My legs, and arms were twitching, quivering and it took alot of concentration to hold still.

I swear I would bet the house that there is something stuck in my thoracic - but if it doesn't show on the mri - then the docs have nothing to go on!

thanks - patti
  • Doctor called and left a message, so I will need to call her on Monday. I have a bulge in the middle of neck, and would I like to try some PT? close to her exact words.

I guess there really is nothing in my thoracic - but boy I would have bet my kids that there was something there.

I am going to make an appt to see her - to discuss this. I can't go thru pt again. last time, I got injured - and was in worse shape...plus, through this journey I have done it 4 times already - the last 2 with a really good therapist.

I hope I am not doing anything wrong here...but I came across a website, no ads or anything just information...chirogeek.com - it does a wonderful job explaining mri reports, what herniations are etc.

I don't know what else she can suggest, but I really can't live like this, things have not gotten better. I don't know if surgery is the answer, but I have tried everything, the shots, the pt, the massage, the tens, even botox. This bulge is not going anywhere and the pain has only gotten worse...i am sure my muscles are chronic - what else is there to do!?

• hey my friend this is not a big issue and i would say this will soon recover. do not worry at all. if you are still worried then you can do regular excercise and surely you will be fine

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc