Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What were you doing at 2mos post op

paulab67ppaulab67 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone,
I had surgery June 9th of this year. It hasn't been an easy recovery for me. I had major nerve pain going down my leg to my feet 2 weeks after surgery. I got that taken care of. Was put back on the Neurontin that I was on pre op. Anyway, here it is a little over 2 mos. My last visit, I didn't get to ask the dr. alot of questions. he was REALLY busy that day. He took a look at the x rays and said I look good and be back on September 9th. Oh, I was able to ask him if I could drive. He said no more than 30mins at a time. OK, well, my pain is still really bad. Now mind you, I am a big baby when it comes to pain. I have a very low tolerance to it. But, when I am almost wanting to bang my head against the wall some days, I think I am in a lot of pain at that point. LOL I just don't know what's going on. Am I doing too much or too little? I look at it this way as far as my pain goes. My saying is If the bear is sleeping why would you poke it? LOL Meaning, if I don't have any pain, why would I wanna make myself in pain. I am not big on exercise. Who is right? LOL I wouldn't even know what to do. On the next visit the dr. is sending me to PT. That should be interesting. So, I guess my question is, could you give me an idea of what your dr. told you that you could and could not do at 2mos out.It just takes the dr's office days to call me back. Oh by the way, I had a fusion done on L-5 S-1 I have 2 screws in my spine. It's funny cuz I show it to people and they say eeewwwww that's horrible. LOL Thanks so much for reading this long post. Have a nice pain free afternoon(or evening.) depending on where you live. :H

• I had a 2 level fusion 6 weeks ago now and I was given the usual advice of no BLT (which in the UK is a sandwich!!! Bacon, lettuce and tomatoe). Anyway, what they didn't say is how long I should refrain from bending, lifting or twisting.

I don't have a back brace (like they sometimes provide in the USA), but I certainly can do more now than I could when I first went home.

I have learnt to bend over to pick things up using the 'golf pick-up' (I hold onto something, bend from the hips and raise one leg behind me - that seems to work without pain). I can sit for a little longer now but it still hurts my back - so I get up and walk around for a few minutes and then sit again (I probably shouldn't but I enjoy going on the Internet rather than laying down watching TV all day!). I'm doing more housework chores, but stop when my back hurts!

My surgeon really has left it up to me. If I do something and it hurts my back, then I stop doing it.

I was given a few gentle exercises to help improve my pelvic floor muscles (because I don't have any anymore!) and to also help with core strength. I am starting physiotherapy next Tuesday, so will probably get more active exercises to do.

Yesterday, I decided to be brave and drive for the first time in 6 weeks. I went with my hubby (just in case) and only drove a short way. It wasn't so bad, I thought I was doing OK until I had to reverse to park my car in our driveway. I wasn't 100 per cent honest with the truth when I told my hubby that it was 'uncomfortable' twisting around to look behind me - it was PAINFUL! I may try again this afternoon, but I'll use his car to see if it's better or not. I'm fed up with relying to everyone else and feel I'm imposing when I need a lift somewhere. I want to be more independent, obviously, but won't try and run before I can walk. I'm aware that I'm still in recovery and need to protect myself from any mishaps so as not to compromise the fusion surgery.

I've been signed off work for another month, but really want to get back as soon as I can (because I need the money - I'm now on half pay because I've only been in my job for 6 months). I have an appointment with the Occupational Health team tomorrow - so hopefully they won't say I'm not fit to return. The trouble is, I work in a school and found that the very low chairs/tables were impossible to negotiate before my surgery - I think they'll be even worse to sit at now. Sitting is more comfortable for me if my butt is higher than my knees - if you see what I mean. That won't happen in the primary school. Plus, because I have a hearing loss, when the little children talk to me, I used to constantly bend over in order to hear what they were saying - I suppose that'll be uncomfortable also. So, I'm really worried about my job and, in view of all the cutbacks the Government in the UK are supposed to be making, I personally feel that my job is 'at risk', even though nobody has said anything. I was made redundant last September and I can see similar signs occuring in this job! That's why tomorrow's appointment is so important to me.

Do you work? If so, are they being good about the time off you're having?

I'm sure, when you start your physiotherapy, you'll feel more pro-active in your recovery. Afterall, it can only be a good thing to work on your core muscles, which you probably haven't used for the last 2 months.

It's a shame you couldn't ask all your questions because your doctor was too busy. Are you able to email them to his secretary, so he can respond when he has more time?

I really hope things start to improve, bit by bit, for you from now on. You take care!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hubby's surgeon also just told him to do what he could and stop if it becomes painful. Problem is that is does not get painful and I am anxious that he is slowing down the fusion with what he is doing.He is driving miles and miles and was even helping son put up eavetroughs yesterday. Not lifting really but he was reaching and he felt absolutely no pain.. He starts PT on Monday and I really hope they tell him what he cannot do even if it causes him no pain.
  • You'll have to refresh my memory and tell me when your hubby's fusion was? I presume it wasn't that long ago?

If he's very active and not feeling any pain, then I would say that is a very successful outcome - but that's just my own personal opinion as I'm no expert. Has he had his first follow-up appointments yet where they usually would x-ray to see how he is progressing? It's only through x-ray that the surgeons can tell if the fusion process is starting or not.

According to when he had his op, I'm surprised he doesn't feel discomfort when he sits for too long, i.e. to drive for 'miles and miles' as you put it. Maybe it's because your car is a more luxury model?? To sit in my car is like sitting on a box, ha!!!! And I feel every little bump in the road because the suspension isn't too hot either.

I can only presume that if your hubby doesn't any feel pain when he exerts himself, then that is a good thing - not sure what other folks think. The only way to know for sure is through x-ray.

I hope everything goes well for him on Monday at PT.

2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!