Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal manipulation under anesthesia

kcrozkkcroz Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
I had double fusion on my neck several years ago. MRI reveals the disk above the fusion is has herniated and bone spurs are pressing on nerves. I have tried 3 ESI's. No relief. I am a the very HIGH end of pain meds which include 240 mg Oxycotin Extented release (3 80 mg per day), Soma, Xanax, Neurontin,Lexapro and Adderal ER.
The Neurontin was added within the last month. I am unable to take the medication and function. This brings me to where I am now. Scheduled for three M.U.A.'s starting tomorrow. If this does now work, PM wants me to have surgery.

Please let me know if anyone has had this procedure.

Thank you so much

Karen Crosby

• I remember seeing a video on this a couple of years ago. It might be helpful to other members to elaborate on what your doctor will actually be doing.

From what I remember from the video, you'll be glad that they put you under. I hope it helps you.

• I have never had MUA but hope it helps you. I'll have to read up about it. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • From my perspective, trying anything to keep from having fusion surgery is always a good thing and I hope this helps you. I don't know the percentages of success with this particular procedure and have never had it done myself, but if you have it done, it will be interesting to hear about the results.

For those that don't know what a MUA is:

MUA Procedure and how it works:
    Manipulation under anesthesia works by altering adhesions and scar tissue in and around the soft tissues and joints of the painful area, to restore range of motion and mobility. The procedure is performed while the patient is in a comfortable and safe twilight state of anesthesia, enabling doctors to perform the stretching and soft tissue treatments without discomfort to the patient. Following MUA treatment, 4 – 6 weeks of active rehabilitation and post-operative therapy is required to maximize range of motion improvements and maintain pain reduction. Most patients are typically able to continue their post-operative care with a home exercise program after a few weeks of supervised rehabilitation.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Take care,
  • 240 mg of oxy seems a lot of meds. i only take 160 a day. did your dr prescribe this amount for you? i hope you are not self medicating.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hi Karen,

I just read your post and by now you've had your first MUA. How did it go? I hope you are feeling encouraged that it will give you some relief. There is not much that is more discouraging that being in pain and feeling hopeless that it will never get better, is there?

Perhaps if you feel up to it, you can share your experience with us.

This discussion has been closed.