Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

VA Docs

jjtitusjjjtitus Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone. Im new here, been reading up for awhile and decided to join up to see what you guys think I should do. Im 25 and have been diagnosed with Level 1 Spondylolisthesis L4-L5, small lumbar disc protrusion L4-L5, and DDD. I was in the Navy for only 3 years and was medically discharged for this and other reasons. Now I go to the VA for my care as I don't have a job currently to get private insurance.

I have been on both Lortab 5mg and Tramadol on and off for 1 1/2-2 years. I went to see my doc today stating that the Tramadol is just not cutting it anymore. He first said to start taking 2 pills 3 times a day. Sigh, i told him I have been, you told me that last time I saw you. Then he went on to say that he will NEVER, emphasized the never, prescribe narcotics to someone as young as me no matter what. I told him that he's gotta be kidding and that's ridiculous and got mad and used a few choice words I probably shouldn't. I told him that I was tired of all the docs I've seen at the VA not believing me because i was so young. and of course he said he believed me. If he did he would do something about it. He also stated every time I've seen him that the VA is so amazing. Yeah, sure.

Well, now I'm thinking I need to change docs and find a Doc that will take care of me. But I just don't know if the VA docs are any good at all and fear that they will all treat me this way. My doc won't even send me to a PM doc. He also told me that there was nothing wrong with me back as he looked at the x-ray results that said there was something wrong. blantantly lied to me. I wouldn't have gotten disability from the VA if nothing was wrong. I've had x-rays and MRIs that show the problems.

Anyways, i've rambled. Anyone else here deal with the VA and have any suggestions? Thanks

• Sorry to hear about your problems with the VA i've never dealt with the doctors there but i probably will be soon.
    k this is along time ago but might help, my brother-in-law, is dealing with them for a non-service related disability,(1994) and they were'nt doing right by him either.
    He wound up getting a lawyer involved and a local senator who is high up in washington d.c. and they got his impairment rating raised from around 25% to 100%, he got a boatload of back pay and the VA treats him good know.
    What kind of impairment rating do you have?
    For a medical discharge under honorable conditions you should be treated better.
    You might have to go over their heads to light somebody up.

Hope this helps and t/y for your service.
  • Are you seeing a neurosurgeon at the VA? If not, ask for a referral. Also to note, there are VA Spinal cord injury centers in 12 states. You can look at the vetsfirst organization site, or you can look at vets yuku site which has a great site for VA claims. Good luck, Thanks for your service!!