Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

looking for expanded info on sciatica

UBarWUUBarW Posts: 1
Howdy all...

Background: 51yo, L5-s1 fusion Dec 08. Disc was "jelly". Probably a combination of a 60 mph headon in 92, and falling off my roof in 2006.Generally, the fusion went well.

Over the last few months I have started to experience site pain, not to contact but internal with motion, and also what I believe to be sciatica. I experience the stinging down the outside left of the leg, etc.

My question is about another pain, wondering if it could be part of the sciatica. My outside hips, mostly on the left, are tender to the touch. Laying on my side is painful. I can stand, and poke, and it hurts. Doesnt feel like a joint kind of thing, but muscular/softtissue. Sometimes just sitting still for a bit makes it mad, too.

I am in the process of getting in to my surg to revisit, but wonder if this could be related.

Comments appreciated while I wait for my appt...

advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear you're having site pain and sciatica and hope your Surgeon can give you some more answers. I haven't had surgery but I had a L5-S1 herniated disc and tear now resolved but have the same pain with DDD. I have back, hip and lower leg and foot pain and numbness, tingling. Recently started hip nerve blocks with epidural with good relief as well as take Cymbalta for nerve pain. Hope you can get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You may want to check with your doctor or consult with PT (physical therapist).

I think pains vary. I was unaware that calve cramping was a symptom of sciatica and wrote off the pain as needing to eat potassium for the muscle cramps but later found out it was a symptom.

As for the hips, I found that with my back surgery, I was compensating when I walked which was causing 'tight hip' and really sore. When I went to PT and told them, they told me that I was showing early signs of hip bursitis because I was trying to compensate for my back/leg when I walked. I now have stretches to do and am doing much better.

I hope you get relief soon.