Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long/short term meds inquiry

scottishkrumpetsscottishkrumpet Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management
I am just so confused and I don't want to cause any trouble; however, my PM PA has had me on three long term opioids and with this one my cervical pain is gone (thank the Lord) but my lumbar is very bad. On top of that I FELL down my stairs Mon. morn, I am very injured, difficult to walk with knee injury and for heavens sake guys, I took the full impact on my rear ribs close to my thoracic spine. I'm bruised in several other places. I went to my primary and he ordered several x rays, don't know results yet.

Here is my question, and I'll make it brief. I hear from other pain patients that they take a long term med and one for breakthrough pain. My PA never prescribes a breakthrough drug. I so appreciate the help with my cervical spine that I am afraid to ask for anything more to help my lumbar problems. She always asked how it is when I am bright, alert, and SITTING DOWN. The pain starts when I stand up, never mind trying to get my house chores done and my gardening is in small spurts.

Am I supposed to ask outright for something to manage my lumbar pain while trying to live a comfortable life? I am just 65 and I don't want to have a sour puss for the rest of my days. Ideas?

• When she asks how you're doing, start your sentence with "well, this (month, week, etc) has been..."

My pain management changed for the better when I started doing that instead of telling how I was that minute. I am always honest, but give a summary of the time since my last visit instead of a snapshot of my time in the office, which was almost never helpful.

Will that help?

• Sorry to hear about your fall and hope you're healing alright. I only mentioned to my Dr. that the pain meds only last so many hours and said I have too much pain waking up from sleeping with whatever sleep I get because the pain meds wear off after 4 hours so she increased my ER meds but mainly except for one time I've been on only Extended relief meds. It took a few visits to her to get somewhat tolerable relief especially the car rides are so bad with bumps and vibrations now it's not as bad and I don't feel sleepy or anything with long acting meds but maybe at first. But yes you're right it's a delicate situation bringing up any name of a pain med with your Dr. Good luck and hope she works with you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Do you keep a pain diary at all? I found that to be the best tool for myself as well as the doc in tracking the effectiveness and timeliness of the meds I was taking. I could show how long it took before the meds began to work, how long they worked for, and how long I had to suffer before the next dose was due and then kicked in.

Sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that nothing is seriously wrong and the additional aches and pain go away quickly.