Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain pump users, please advise me....................

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Lower Back Pain
I hate to beg guys, but I have posted my questions several times on several different forums, and nobody has replied to me. Did I forget to use deodorant? (LOL).
Seriously, I am at the end of week one of a Dilaudid pain pump trial. I am off my duragesic pump, and taking approximately half of the percocet that I took before, although I have to say, sometimes I wish I could take one more percocet but my dr is discouraging it for during the trial. Can I ask all of you with pumps, did any of you not get the full relief you expected or wanted until the second week? Did you have minor ups and downs from day to day during the trial? While some at the surgery center are doing much worse than I am, others are already pain free with no meds at all. Also, those of you who have your permanent pumps, how much oral meds do you still find you need? I know everyone is an inividual, but I'm just asking for your experiences and for lots of moral support and encouragement. Thank you!
P.s. Moerators, if there is a better place for this to go, please move it for me . I really want some replies. Thank you.

• Please don't take it personally that you are having a problem getting people to respond here. Sometimes the right people just aren't online. Give it some time, and I'm sure someone with experience in this area will give you an answer.

I don't have a pain pump, but doctors are advising that I get one. So I am interested in the outcome of your trial. I would suggest that you go to the website of the maker of your pump, and read their FAQ and what to expect. However, sometimes those stories are pretty one-sided.

Hopefully things will level off for you and they will get the right amount of medication in your pump. I have heard that it is not unusual for it to take a couple of months to get the right dosage pumping through that pump.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Please do not worry Chris. Not everyone reacts the same to a pain med. Some do better on one kind and some do better on another kind. I do not know how your Doctor is conducting your trial. My trial was for 3 days in the hodpital. A catheter was placed in my spine and clamped off. Each day my Doctor gave me one shot of Diladuid in my spine and waited 24 hours before he gave me another one. I did better on the second shot. On the 3rd day he tried morphine but it did nothing for me.
    It sounds tome like you are doing fine on your 2 week trial. No one gets 100% pain relief. You are still on a tiny dose of meds yet.
    I have had my permanent pump 10 weeks now and still have a long way to go before I will be up to a therapudic dose. They increase your meds very slowly. I have been able to cut way back on my oral meds but some days I do need more because of flair ups.
    Hang in there Chris....it sounds like you are doing fine. You are getting some relief and still have another week to go on your trial. Have you spoke to your Doctor about your worries?
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I'm sorry that you've had problems getting responses to your questions, but I suspect that there aren't a lot of members that have a pain pump. With that said, you might consider making another post in the pain management section and see if you get more answers there.

I have nothing else to offer as I know very little about pain pumps, but wanted to post and let you know that I'm thinking of you and hope more people with pain pumps can help you.

Take care,
  • LOL made me chuckle with your comment hope that's okay.I only know Pat(above) and Meydey321 have a pain pump if you wanted to PM Meydey321 might have some experience to share. Just wanted to wish you success with your pain pump trial. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I forgot to mention that most people with pain pumps are able to return to their "normal" lives and do not come back to these forums that often.
    I have only had my pump 10 weeks but am able to return to work now. True, I still have some pain and flair ups but oral meds help manage these.
    I am self employed so I am able to set my own hours BUT it has been several years since I have been able to concentrate on anything except my pain.
    Best of luck to you.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I dont have a pain pump but I am like Charry,the Drs are considering one if my upcoming stimulator doesnt work..

I would be interested to know how it all goes so please post when its all done.

Take care
This discussion has been closed.