Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New member with multi-level fusion

Mr. B.MMr. B. Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all- My name is Brent,I am a 53y/o male from So. Indiana,have been looking over the forum for awhile and decided to join. I had open TLIF in Sept.,2006 and had to have revision surgery in April,2007 to replace loose pedicle screws in S1 region. I am now fused from T11 to S2 with 18 screws,rods, crosslinks,etc. Needless to say this has been a life changing experience and continue to have chronic pain and complications in my lower back/legs, with new developing in my thoracic and cervical spine. I hope to meet others that can relate, share experiences and advice on making the most out of life in our situations. Thanks in advance for allowing me to join and look forward to your input.

• Welcome to the forum. Yikes does you back look nasty or what. How many surgery's to get all that gleam in there?

• :H Hi Brent and welcome to the site..Ive found it to be a neverending resource of info for any spinal issue..

Im like you, I have fusions at C4/5, C5/6, 6/7 and L3/4, 4/5 and L5/S1 and still suffer chronic pain.

Im now under a Pain Specialsit who does burn the nerves and inject my facet and SI joints to hopefully provide relief..Also Im going to undergo a Stimulator trial in my thoracic and lumbar areas in November..
  • Thanks for the welcome. So far have had surgery only twice (lucky me !!!)but afraid more are in my future. No history of back trouble until sudden severe back ache in 2002, tried to just "live with it" before first surgery in 2006.
  • Hi Shelly and thanks for the welcome. My PM Dr has tried some injections but they did not help. I am now on 60mg ER morphine(3x)and 45mg IR morphine(3x)but get little relief. Fighting insurance now to approve the Flector patch. Been on more meds then I can count,could not tolerate the side effects and cost of many of them.I had hopes for a SCS but two days before trial my PM said I had too much hardware for the implant and leads or even a pain pump. I have spoke to several people that have really had relief with the SCS, so I hope it will work for you. Brent
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we are about the same age so a special hello!! i am sorry you are having chronic pain... i hope the stimulator works out for you. several spineys on the sight use them and like them alot for pain relief! i hope you do as well. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • i am waiting to see if am a suitable for a multi level fusion and i am having a discography on the 23 sept
  • Hope I'm doing this right - its my first post. We have pretty similar stories Brent! I'm fused from T10 thru S1. I'm almost 53 yrs old, female from MI, so howdy neighbor! Our metals are almost the same, too. Don't we always impress the x-ray techs!!
    I'm 2 weeks out from my 5th surgery. Had a PLIF and an ALIF last Nov., 2 wks apart & recovery was going very well when all of a sudden, I took a sharp turn for the worse & quickly starting going downhill. Dr. found loose screws in the S1 region & just found out today, while having my 70+ staples removed (ahhh, what sweet relief), it was due to failed fusion in that area. Also the top few levels had never even begun to fuse plus I had a blood clot that liquified, formed its own pocket to sit in along side my ribs, separating the muscle from the bone & made me pretty dang nab miserable.
    The good news is, doc was able to fix all the problems and prognosis is very good!
    So to Straker, I would say, MY multi-level fusion - T10 to S1 - was the best thing for ME, after I got over the intense pain of recovery, which was much worse than I had anticipated (doc had warned me ahead of time), especially since I'd already had a number of prior surgeries, but then I turned that magical corner & WOW, did I start feeling a LOT better!! Until that whamo sharp turn in the wrong direction happened. But I did have that wonderful glimpse of what life could be like without pain so bad, every single day, day in, day out, month after month, year after year, that your mind really starts turning down dark alleys.
    But that glimpse of what life CAN be like for me is what keeps me going!! I'll never be completely pain-free, but we should be able to make it a lot more tolerable.
    I'm back to square one with recovery, 12 mo. plus & back in the body cast for 3 mo. :( but at least the pain from this most recent surgery is not too bad.
    Mostly I'm suffering from intense lonliness. It's gone on for faaaaar too long - about 4 yrs now, cooped up in the house, no one to talk to, no one that can relate. Makes a girl pretty darn blue & I'm usually a pretty happy person, good sense of humor, always looking for the positive in any given situation. But I'm running out of humor, perspective, bored out of my mind & would really, really like to be a "real" person again!! The idea of continuing to be cooped up AGAIN for who knows how many more months is almost enough to drive me around the bend, which I'd rather not happen!
    Think I've rambled on too long, ugh - lonliness showing, sorry.
    Hoping to find a few fellow compatriots who can relate, want to chat, swap info & tips, be there for each other, kwim?
    Hope your discography went well Straker!!