Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oh no! Have I done something silly????

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm nearly 7 weeks post 2-level fusion and was doing SO well. I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago and walked my socks off. No problems, although I think I may have overdone the sitting!

Anyway, last Wednesday I decided to drive for the first time because I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. It wasn't too bad, but when I arrived home, I had to look behind me to reverse into our driveway - I then realised why we are told not to twist. I felt a different type of pain - not the usual 'recovering' feeling. I'm also aware that I need to be 100 per cent fit to drive, otherwise my insurance may be void (even though the surgeon said I could drive after 6 weeks).

Since then, my back has ached/is painful alot more and it's there all the time when I sit now. Also, I've noticed my calf is very tender to touch (right side) and hurts if I walk too much. I find bending my leg alleviates it a little and I often get 'restless' legs, very strange. This morning, I had pain in my right foot, which I didn't have before, but that went after walking for a few minutes.

I'm now back to lying in bed more often (but my back still aches whereas before it would ease when I laid down) and I'm upping the paracetamols for a few days to try and help it to settle. I'm still not sleeping very well, but am concerned because it's now my back that wakes me up (this is what I had before the op).

I'm disappointed because I NEED to get back to work soon (as I'm now on half pay) and at my Occupational Health appointment last week the nurse said I couldn't go back until I'd seen and been passed fit by the Physician. My appointment with him is not until 21 September - for goodness sake - I'll have to live on bread and water till then, ha!

I'm really hoping things will settle down soon. If I still have this discomfort when I see my surgeon on 14 September, I'll discuss it with him (and the horrible hot flushes I've had since the operation which I mentioned in Straker's post in a different section).

If I've done something to compromise my surgery, I'll kick myself because I've been 90 per cent protective so far!! It's been getting me down the last week.

Has anyone had this? Is it a normal part of recovery do you think? Could I have done something silly? Can anyone offer me reassurance/advice?

SUE
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
advertisement

Comments

• I just answered your PM and then found this.

I have heard of quite a lot of people that start off exceptionally well in their recovery and then after a couple of months, suddenly start getting pain again. My guess is that it is as we start to get back to doing more and moving our spine. I had caused myself some horrible pain at about 4 months, and my physio said he thought I had inflamed the nerve. I think he was right, because after a few days of being very careful, it did get better. Now today, I have done it again as I have been trying to get the house in order ready for my return to work tomorrow. I am going to rest for the rest of the day!!

Do talk to your surgeon in a couple of weeks time when you see him.
    Depending on the pain, and how you feel, perhaps you could call your surgeon and talk to him about it before then.

As for the hot flushes, (I'm looking for your post about that), my surgeon told me that they are caused by the anaesthetic, which affects the hormones.

Take care and hope that things settle down very soon. :-)

• I am sorry you are having such a hard time! It does seem to be a roller coaster ride! Hopefully it is just imflammation of the nerves.

At 2 months I herniated the level above my fusion so I so understand. In the beginning I also had issues with my ilio-inguinal nerve which mimics a hernia and wasn't any fun at all.

Wishing you the very best! Let us know how you are doing!
  • eeek , this fusion business sound like a bundle of fun , so i can blame my hormones for the next 3 months as well !!!
    hope your appoints goes well SueD , i have my fusion on the 21st sept