Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Third Epidural Injection - Positive Thoughts, Please!

maryelleninnjmmaryelleninnj Posts: 101
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Injections
My third injection is scheduled for this Friday. Please wish me luck. My first injection was back in September of 2008. It lasted about 18 months. My second one was last May, and only lasted about two weeks. The sciatica pain is worse than ever, especially in the morning. Have been using heat, doing stretching and strengthening exercises, walking, and taking anti-inflammatories. Can't wait until this is done, and my pain goes away at least for a while -- but preferably a year.

• I hope you get some relief with your ESI on Friday. I hope you can get some relief like with your first ESI for a long time. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Just returned from getting my second injection this year. A little concerned, because this time, because I still feel tingling down my back and legs. Before, the pain stopped immediately. This had better work!
  • Mary,
    Any relief however long it last is beneficial and if previous attempts were positive then you are doing the right thing for you at this time, I have three with varying aspects of improvement that were never permanent, nor intended to be so.

My own epidurals only masked the higher episode of the pain and that did help, it may well have only deferred the inevitable of invasive surgery that may have been deemed to have been used sooner. We have no evidence here the amount of patients who go on to have surgery where epidurals prove effective even for a short time, it is sometimes a procedure that is done before the next stage of treatment is considered.

I though it may help to indicate where the origin of my problems were and this was not the case, I hope you get a year from this current attempt.

Good Luck.

• I usually had a series of 3 injections each year but this year I'm getting 6. I had the 5th epidural Thursday and having good relief from sciatica but still tender in my back where injections were also. I also take Cymbalta which helps with the tingling and leg pain. Are you taking a med for nerve pain? Hope this ESI helps you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks for all the comments. By the time I went to bed last night, the tingling was almost gone. I slept much better. I normally change positions a lot in my sleep, and before, I felt pain every time I moved. No pain right now. And I don't feel any tenderness at the injection site. This is my third one, and I've never felt any tenderness there. This time, however, I did feel the pinch of the injection. I'm pretty sure they knocked me out for the first two injections, though only briefly. This time, I was relaxed, but awake, and felt two pinches. (No big deal considering the pain I was originally in.) I was under the impression I was limited to 3 injections per year. Sure do hope not to need more than that! I feel so much better, though I know it's only temporary. At least now I'm not constantly distracted by the pain.
  • I hope you are taking it easy this weekend
  • Hi Tarheel Girl,
    Yes, taking it easy this weekend, definitely. We don't have any holiday plans at all. And feeling much better, thanks. Have a great holiday weekend.