Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cage Implanted

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just learned today that my surgeon put in a "cage" for my second level lower lumbar fusion I had 8 weeks ago. I also had a bone graft with bone stimulator put in. Gould this be the reason I have so much pain even when I try to be up for more than 30 minutes? I feel like my back is broke in half. lol. I am 60 years young and realize it may take a little longer for me to heal, but just wanted to know about the pain and the cage.

• Depending on what was done in all your surgery's 8 weeks may still be very early in you recovery. The older we get the longer it takes to recover especially from spine surgery and one where it sounds like you have had multiple times.

What kind of cage did he put in. The way you wrote the sentence it sounded like you were surprised.
    Was it a gage in disc area or was it a cage that wrapped around your spinal column? The latted would of been a very long operation.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    that is your pain generator .... but there are a couple of us (Meck of Steel & me) that have cages in our cervical spines.

When is your next check in with the surgeon and have you informed him (or her) of the increased pain and discomfort?

If not you may want to make that call. Also are you on any post op meds? They maybe needing an adjustment in strength of type.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!