Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thursday came and went

butterbeanbbutterbean Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well hope everyone is having as good a Holiday as possible, I went and saw the doc on Thursday. He looked over the MRI and records. Pulled, poked, stretched and in general flared me up from my low back to my skull.
He gave me his opinion that the nerve damage is probably irreversible, even with surgery all I can hope for is less pain and maybe get rid of some of the numbness. He wants to order one more test before he sends me to the surgeon.
At this point I am asking myself, whats the point. If it is not going to help.
He wanted to know why I waited so long to seek help. I explained what I went thru to get to this point. The delays between appointments and wait for MRI and so on. I don't know what the next step will be, when they call me for the next appointment I hope I have it figured out.
As for now I will just keep my options open, but I am leaning towards saving the insurance company some money. I figure I have enough scars on the tired old body. I don't think I need any more.
Thanks to all for the advice and kind words, maybe I should change my handle to "Lobster Claw".
Bye for now, butterbean



  • I wish I could send you a great big hug...I know exactly how you are feeling right now. But don't give up. Get the test and talk over the options with the doctor. I would also speak with the surgeon because he may have a very different opinion about the outcome. No one knows for sure what might happen. Some(me) go in for what should he a simple surgery and come out with more problems than they started with. Others go in with low expectations and come out perfect.

    I would start a list of questions for the doctor and the surgeon when the time comes. There is a great thread here somewhere with some sample questions. One biggie is what would happen if you don't have surgery.

    For now smile and enjoy a few days of rest and no doctors.
  • Hey Butterbean,

    I know sometimes it is hard to figure out what would be the best option, but you need to keep as open of a mind as possible. I am curious what kind of doctor told you the nerve damage maybe irreversible? To my knowledge there is no test or film that is going to show nerve damage to be permanent. What does your emg study show? I forget what levels of the spine are you having issues with? Is it bone spurs or herniations? Also keep in mind the cervical spine is a bit different than the lumbar spine, in that, you have the spinal cord to protect.

    I think i would wait and see what the surgeon has to say. You can look in the FAQ section and you will find a two links one on meeting with a surgeon and the other on 38 questions to ask a surgeon. I would prepare two list of questions, one as if you were going to surgery and one as if you weren't going to surgery.
  • I'm not for sure what kind of doc I saw, I thought he was the surgeon. Anyway he did a bunch of strength tests and was looking at the muscle wasting on my left hand. He said the amount of damage he saw that it would not come back.
    After my 2 low back surgeries, and their failure to help. In fact I am in worse shape low back wise than before the surgery. Stick a fork in me, I'm done...
  • Hey butterbean,

    Maybe because you faired so poorly with your lumbar surgeries has a lot to do with why they are concerned about doing a cervical surgery. I have a herniated lumbar disc and my surgeon said after everything that happened with my cervical spine, being like opening pandora's box he was concerned about doing the lumbar spine. He made it clear I could take my films to any surgeon not tell them how many neck surgeries I have had and what happened and they would do surgery without hesitation. But the question becomes will it benefit me or make it worse. Do the medications I already take control the lumbar spine and can i stay in conservative treatment. Now that I have said all that I would definitely get a second opinion though and see what they have to say. Like I say putting off the cervical spine with a cord can be far different than a lumbar.
  • Hi all it's been awhile, hope everyone is as comfortable as possible. Finally got a ENG I believe, felt some what like a electrical pin cushion. Really was not bad, except for having to lay on that uncomfortable table for better than a hour.
    Anyway first good news I have gotten from a doc in a long time. She said it looked like the nerve was damaged in my shoulder and not my neck. So at least I don't have to worry about the spinal cord just yet.
    The MD now has recommended seeing a Neurologist, and doing some more tests. But for now I am going to relax and count my lucky stars that it is not C-Spine for now.
    Any way thanks for the support, my best to all. Take care I will look back from time to time...
Sign In or Register to comment.