Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP! 75 year old with Spinal Stenosis...

backreliefbbackrelief Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Please advise. My father is 75 y.o. He underwent surgery due to a debilitating spinal stenosis problem. He underwent a laminectomy about 3 weeks ago. A new problem has arisen. My father suffers now from bladder incontinence. Does anyone have any idea what can be done or should be done ? Thanks so much for your professional or personal advice! Looking for answers.

• This is serious enough to get him back to the Dr to find out what is going on. It could be that scar tissue has formed and is pressing on the main nerve that controls bladder control. Only the Dr can tell you and I'm not one.

• immediately; don't delay.

Hope that it is just due to inflamation that will settle down, but it could be a serious problem.

Please let us know how you get on. :-)
  • I will send my father back to the Dr. I hope that we can trust him. It sad and scary. Thank you.
  • I will send my father back to the Dr. I hope that we can trust him. It sad and scary.
  • I agree that your Dad needs to go to the doctor immediately. I would even call the doctor after hours and have his service call back. If your Dad won't take care of this immediately, hopefully you can offer to drive him there or make the call to the doctor for him.

It could be scar tissue or inflammation but the doctor will want to know.
  • unless it was very bad .i would have treated with powerful painkillers .just because what has happened to0 him .the surgeon has probably nicked the nerve that controls urine {it happened to me but i lost sexual function and i am 44} incontinence is always a risk with any spinal surgery .it was a risk operating on a 75 years old .i would take him back and see what can be done ..but i am sorry to say this i dont hold out much hope .i wish him the best i really do