Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Low Back Pain/SI Joint Pain 1 year (exactly) after L4-L5-S1 Fusion

mhem01mmhem01 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi! I am 32 years old. One year ago today I had a fusion and I was doing great up until this past June and I have been regressing ever since. I have no pain down my legs. All low back pain when I stand for long periods or walk. I can barely go grocery shopping or walk at work without being in pain. My surgeon thought it was stress. But since it hasn't gotten better he thinks it might be the hardware. I met with a pain management doctor last week and he thinks it's my SI joint. I go on tomorrow for SI joint injections. Anyone experience this type of pain after fusion? My fusion looks great and there are no other issues with the other discs in my back. I was super active, big runner and loves to work out. I can't do anything any more. I want to know if there will be an end to this pain and I can have my life back. Anyone who can tell me anything would be great!

• I have had issues with my SI joints for the past few years. It is very specifically located. For me, I have always felt specific pain on either side of the gluteal crest.

I have also had issues with my facet joints. When I had my fusion 6 months ago mine were bone on bone. Facet pain is felt on the back also. I felt mine close to the spinal cord and if I hyperextended(bent backwards) my back a little bit, I had significant pain.

I hope this helps a little bit. There is so much comfort in knowing that you are not alone in your pain. Good luck with your injections tomorrow and congrats on a solid fusion!

Wishing you the very best!
  • I had endoscopic spine surgery 2 weeks ago, and he was able to actually see my SI joint. I have multiple cystic structures on the capsule of the SI joint. He injected the joint at that time. I had extensive scar tissue around the fusion site. He broke up the scar tissue and injected a substance that softens the scar tissue, and I'm having a repeat of that procedure next week.

The scarring was evident on my 6 month xray which was on June 1st. No one told me about it until I went to see this interventional PM doc 2 weeks ago.
    There is much evidence that scarring can be a huge culprit for post op pain after any spine surgery, but esp. fusions. Reformed1 has also had this procedure with good results. What impressed me is that he could see the joint with the endoscope, so there was no guessing that there might be a problem...there definitely is a problem.

Hope your injections help. Let us know how it goes.