Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Pre op

cmhicksccmhicks Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
On Aug 24th I finally had L5/S1 fused. I have been living in alot of pain and under alot of restrictions for 6 years prior. Alot of Drs wouldnt even consider surgery for me because I was so young and I was a smoker. I had one Dr that did tell me the surgery was neccessary but he wouldnt do it either because the condition of the rest of my lumbar discs were in pretty bad shape too and his attitude was that he would just have to keep going back in to fuse another level every year or two so why start!! I then moved on to a Pain Management clinic. Thought that was the greatest thing in the world. Went in biweekly and they did different injections, excercises, medications, ect.. Never once in the 4 years I was a patient there had a problem. I would tell them about new and increased pain and they would double my pain meds and that was it. At the time, I thought that was all they could do. Well then there came a problem with my family and the dr so I stopped going there due to breach of confidentiality!!! I went to my primary dr who had been treating me for years prior to the pain clinic and he refered me back to another surgeon. I did my research and found one that just moved into my area. Took In all my old films, notes, MRI's with me. After a few mintues of him reviewing them and examining me, he told me I needed to have that fused and soon because I was starting to lose the use of my left leg which was pinched by the disc!! All of this would have been found had the pain clinic looked into things and not just upped my meds when I complained things got worse!! Now I have finally gone through with the surgery and I am hoping and praying that one day soon I can run, jump and play with my kids again without that pain.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by.. i to hope your surgery is a complete success and you wind up totally pain free!! what a wonderful thing to look forward to!! good luck to you!! please be sure and follow the doctor's orders and don't overdo! be sure and visit the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for some more input!! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Hey there,

Things happen for a reason. what that reason is, we don't always know. I hope for you it was so that technology had time to evolve so that your surgery goes even better than if you had it 4-years ago.

I agree with Lulusheart, be sure to follow your doctor's orders. I think my biggest lesson learned with the lower back is that when you start feeling better, it's not like other recoveries. You don't want to push it too early in the recovery.

Best wishes and keep us posted on your progress.