Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

car accident people i need some input!!!

tammycttammyc Posts: 894
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
OK its almost been two years now since i was in my car accident.Something i don't talk about and have only mentioned a couple of times to my closest friend.Since the car accident two years ago no matter how upset or down i've gotten i haven't been able to cry.Yup two years and not a tear has shed.All the pain that i've endured.Days when i've been sick to my stomach the pain was so bad and everytime i've been asked about the accident and how depressing it was to think how much i went backwards physically after the accident but i just couldn't cry.I know this is getting long but i just wanted everyone to realize how strange i felt this was. I know some of you's know how i've been doing some natural injections to help with pain,inflammation and healing.Well tonight i've had some sort of breakthrough that i don't understand.My teenage daughter,she turn 13 just before school went back and she's been a real pain with attitude.Well tonight was the last straw but normally i would have been able to handle the situation much better then i did. I really freaked out on her.After the argument i went to my room to get away from everyone and was watching a program on the tv and out of the blue i just started crying uncontrollably.I didn't even know what i was crying about at first it was just coming out.Then i started thinking about all the injections i've been getting and all my physical problems and then the accident and i was crying more and more.I just thought it was so strange for all this to happen out of the blue.Now i just feel so exhausted. I was just wondering if anyone whose been in a car accident has ever experienced anything like this??? :?

• Tammy,

Been in 2 car accidents, and even crashed a helicopter (destroyed it!), and didn't have anything like that. Did your doctor(s) lend any clue to why no tears for so long? I wonder if it's the injury, surgery or the medications? Seems really interesting. Please let us know if you find the answer. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I never really addressed the emotional part of this,only the physical problems. Its been two years now since the accident or soon will be and i still have insomnia,i sleep when i take medications to basically knock me out, have taken steps to try and alleviate my pain,muscle weakness etc. but i've never even mentioned to the doctors about not being able to cry. My doctor wasn't very helpful to me after the accident,didn't really believe that i had any problems,it was very off putting so i stopped going to see completely.I do have an apt. with my naturopath today and plan on mentioning it to her.Who knows maybe something she's been doing for me has opened this up.
  • Tammy,

Have you thought of seeing a therapist to deal with your emotions?

• Tammy,

Actually Janelle brought up the emotional aspect - which in retrospect I think is something valid to look at. Our minds do so much to protects us, it's amazing!! Fortunately for me, I only remember the "aftermath" of the accidents verses "seeing them coming" and having bad memories from them. I only remember the last like...second before impact, but not the impacts?

It could be if the doctor knew you couldn't physically cry, it might have been a symptom that opened up what is going on? We can all look at hindsight, but 20/20 isn't always at the surface when we are swimming in all kinds of thoughts, pains, meds etc. The insomnia could also be a clue that your mind was blocking things? But too, many meds cause that. See, can't do the 20/20 thing there either! Please let us know what you find out. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Dear Tammy,

My goodness... what a night you had, eh? I have always felt that a good cry is a normal, healthy release and more times than not... I feel better after a good cry. You must have felt absolutely exhausted afterwards.

I would be puzzled, too, if I wasn't able to cry for 2 years.

For what it's worth, I hope last night was a turning point for you, in that you are once again able to cry.

Please let us know how your appointment went today.

Thinking of you,

• Absolutely mention it to your naturopath...s/he might be able to recommend something or someone to help you.

I've been there too - had a failed MRI attempt (panic attack came out of the blue, just could NOT get into the damn machine) in July, went home & sobbed my heart out for the rest of the day. As I don't normally consider myself a wimp it was really upsetting to have so little control - I was incredibly disappointed in myself. I've also had a couple of episodes after the second surgery - had a good cry for no apparent reason at the time, just melted down; but it felt better afterwards to get rid of all the tension that had built up.

Many doctors are no good at helping us with the emotional fallout of injury/pain/surgery/rehab - in your shoes I'd consider this a good sign that you're reconnecting with your emotions again. It might get messy, but hopefully you'll get rid of a lot of emotional "junk" - good luck!

I've been doing a lot of meditating/listening to music/hypnotherapy/biofeedback/imaging...you know, "woowoo hippie stuff". Some of it's silly, but some of it's been really helpful.

We're not just machines with bad parts - there's emotional components to pain & recovery.
  • Nothing like a teenage girl to make you cry - lol. I have a 13 1/2 and I know exactly what you are dealing with. When I start yelling they know it is the pain talking and back down.

I'm at a year and a half from my accident and I have not cried about what happened. I cry spontaneously because of the meds. Usually it's triggered by something random like the kids going back to school or my cat who died years ago. But never about the accident and what has happened.

I think for me the not crying has more to do with maintaining control. I am a "do it" person so action keeps me going. I also tend to not bother with things I can't change. So I can't change what happened that day but I can take charge of what happens now.

Tammy you were and are dealing with so many issues and not getting alot of answers. From out many conversations I think you are alot like me -- you keep moving. So I wouldn't worry too much about crying. Obviously the tear ducts are working. Only you know if you have unfinished mental business.

What I'm really interested in is learning what has helped you.
  • So i saw my naturopath today and i told her what happened to me with the crying episode yesterday,explained that its been since the accident that i haven't cried.Because my neurologist has already said that i have nerve pathways that have been switched she thinks that my crying it a great breakthrough or at least a step in the right direction.For those who do not know since the accident whenever i feel pain do to touch or pressure instead of yelling or crying i break out in uncontrollable laughter so my neurologist believes that during the accident my nerve pathways were reversed.I just assumed since that part of my emotions were messed up that something happened to the crying as well.Anyways back to the topic at hand. My naturopath is happy that i've made a breakthrough and she thinks that i will probably have a lot more crying episodes ahead of me but apparently its a good thing because its apparently retraining my body to act the way it should instead of laughing when i feel sad or angry i'm starting to cry.Whoohoo thats what i call progress. lol and no i'm not in pain.
    nope not alot of answers yet, but i'm still waiting on my mri,i got a call from the doctors office last week and my mri is scheduled for nov. i'm not sure what what your really asking me,if you want to PM me i can answer specific questions for you.