Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

And So It Begins!!!...

AlynnAAlynn Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my first appointment with the surgeon yesterday and let me just say that you know your day is not going to go well when your orthopedic surgeon is looking at the image of your cervical MRI and says "Oh, this is bad."

Apparently my C6-C7 disc is grossly herniated, and my spinal cord is "compromised" and narrowed. He has suggested surgery (of course), however, he has given me 2 choices: ACDF or ADR. So far, with what I have seen about fusion with plates and screws, and the fact that I also have osteoarthritis C-5, I'm leaning towards ADR. If you have thoughts for and/or against, I would appreciate hearing what you have to say, please.

I did call this morning to give my decision for the ADR and they will start the process tomorrow of preapproval with my insurance company. I was told that I would know in a couple of days when my surgery will be scheduled.

Please feel free to comment about your own experiences with ADR Cervical. I am trying to find out everything I possible can. Knowledge of the procedure will make me a little less nervous and less scared to go under the knife.

Thanks for your interest.

Best Always,

• You sound much like me. The c6/c7 was badly ruptured and pressing on the SC pretty good. I had the fusion done. From some quick checking, ADR is approved for single level cervical (good for you) but is relatively new (might be bad depending on insurance). I hope that they approve it for you. If not, fusion surgery isn't that bad. In fact there was less pain than I thought there would be. Just follow the doctors instructions.

Let us know when you get scheduled.

• I have a feeling that to have ADR you have to have good solid bone for it to be set into.
    It may be that nowadays they can do something to treat the bone to strengthen it.

If your surgeon has suggested this as an option, he must have a plan. I would want to have that explained to me.

Do let us know what you decide to do. We will be hear for you during your recovery, whatever you decide :-)