Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

For those of you who sleep with a pillow between your knees?

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hubby wants to know how in hades you keep it there throughout the night. He sleeps both on his back and on either side and it just keeps slipping out. Is there some trick we are not aware of?

• How inappropriate can we be?? lol I did that when I was pregnant and I remember it being difficult. I would try to squeeze it but that defeats the purpose.
  • Beaver,

I sewed Velcro on a pillow case that I didn't mind "modifying" if you will. I made the strips about 10" long - this way I could snug it to whatever tension I wanted. It did 2 things for me. I curved the pillow, so if I moved around, it stayed put, and in answer to your post, the pillow stayed between my legs! Hope it helps. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I use a body pillow.It is larger so you can move alot and not lose your pillow.
  • I try to keep my pillow inbetween my knees and ankles and I still lose it at times..

Hubby is going to buy we a body pillow when we have the money.

Take care
  • Try using a velcro strap from a camping store. strap the pillow to one leg. much cheaper than a new pillow or one of the fancy knee pillows.
  • Thanx for that Flash, I will send Hubby off to the camping store.
  • This is the best place to come for advice because it has all been quality tested. Thanks.
  • I guess that I have been doing it so long that its just second nature. For the past 2 years I can only sleep on my sides. Somehow I manage to turn over (and over, and over.....) and keep that pillow in between my legs. Its just second nature at this point that I do it in my sleep!

However, the velcro idea is a good one. I remember seeing a "knee pillow" that was made for this purpose, can't remember from where. Anyway, the more you do it the easier it becomes. Just another thing to get used to.
  • in between my knees and its the tempur conventional style pillow {its look like a normal shape pillow and fits in a normal oblong pillow slip } and for my neck i use the brilliant tempur millenium queen strangely shaped pillow .and i sleep on my right had side ..i wake in the same position ..i should imagine that pillow in between the knees only works when you are lying on the left or right hand side ,as when you are lay on your back the pillow in between your knees is doing nothing

• I just re-adjust the pillow each time I turn over. I have to change my sleeping position every couple of hours or so. As I turn into my new sleeping position, I get the pillow in the correct position. When I am sleeping on my back, I place the pillow under my knees.

I suppose this post has revealed to me an advantage of not sleeping well at night! I am conscious enough to arrange my pillow to where I need it. :D
  • I am just like Jelly. I wake up and rearrange myself during the night. Maybe that is why I am so dog tired all the time! :)
  • I am in the same boat with not the sleeping and needing to get up and move around a bit so i don't get to stiff. But I do have two body pillows in my bed.
  • especially with a memory foam pillow. Is there a patent on that? I use a body pillow and a memory foam bed and I usually wake up in the same position if I put a pillow behind my back which I don't usually as I get too stiff getting up. I usually awake on my back without the pillow but sometimes will turn with the pillow and get back to sleep.

If I fall asleep on the couch with my legs up on the cushion while laying on my back sometimes I sleep in the same position but really like the idea of the Velcro straps. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hehe...I have no idea if there is a patent on it. I just found when I used Velcro, my brain wasn't worried about repositioning my pillow on those nights I needed to sleep with it between my legs/knees, so I slept through. I later adapted my new pillow - I had a memory foam topper that I started converting into pillows! It was cheaper to buy the mattress topper, and then 'make' customs pillows out of it! I also have a 2" that I fold and put over the passenger seat in our SUV - lets me travel a bit more, and in comfort. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.